JD 455G baulky steering

/ JD 455G baulky steering #1  

crmorse

Tractor
Kubota L47 TLB
Hi ya'll,

I have a 1998 JD 455G crawler loader that has developed an odd steering quirk. The right pedal always works perfectly but the left pedal will sometimes not "clutch" but only drag the brake. I can tell this is happening because the engine will lug down slightly but the machine will still turn. The strangest part is it seems to be tilt dependent. If the machine is tilting downhill it's almost 100% reliable. If tilting uphill it's almost 0%. (yes, I stopped using it then ;-))

It has recently has the transmission rebuilt because the clutches disintegrated due to a long storage period before I got it. I called the shop that did the work and they gave me some helpful suggestions on how to set the break/steering adjustment and to check & lube all of the pedal linkages. That made it better but it still happens. The shop is willing to come out and look at it but due to distance it's almost $300 just for them to show up. Then order parts and round trip again, etc.

I have owner's manual and parts manual. Are there any more things I can check myself?

Looking at the JD Parts diagram there doesn't seem to be much to it, I'd guess a rotten o-ring that's snagging, some trash from pre-rebuild that's gotten caught in a passage, or a broken spring or something. This same steering control unit seems to be used in a lot of different models but I haven't found a cross-reference for it yet. Anyone know if a rebuild kit might be available? I'm pretty sure I could handle that on my own.

JD Parts Illustration

I've called the local dealer and he can get all the parts so as long as the housing isn't damaged, even if I had to replace every single thing inside it it is still cheaper that calling the mobile repair shop out.

Suggestions, thoughts, ideas?