JD 4x20 Electrical system question

/ JD 4x20 Electrical system question #1  

Furu

Veteran Member
Tractor
I have a question for all the JD open station 4x20 owners out there. The cab version has different fuses so I am not sure if there is any correlation.

My owners manual says that I have fuses in the following positions
F1 Key Switch 30 amp
F2 blank
F3 Light Switch 30 amp
F4 blank
F5 Switched Power 20 amp
F6 Work Light 20 amp
F7 Headlight 20 amp
F8 Blank
F9 Electronic drive controller eHydro 10 amp
F10 Optional Diverter Kit (Blank for my tractor)

JD4720 Load center picture.jpg

Owners manual picture

I have fuses in the positions listed but I also have a 20 amp fuse in the F8 position which the owners manual says is blank.
I have been unable to determined what the extra fuse controls.

The JD service manual confuses the issue a bit as they label the fuse positions differently where.
F1 is labeled F3
F2 is labeled F4
and so on each position is numbered 2 higher than the owners manual. The relays are also labeled different in the service manual than the owners manual. (ie K1 is K2 and K2 is K1) In addition the service manual does not show a third relay, K3 Intake Manifold Heater Relay, that is in the owners manual.

Owners Manual Load center.jpg

Service manual picture

In the wiring diagram of the service manual it shows that K3 is the glow plug relay. I do not know if the glow plug relay and the intake manifold heater relay are the same but suspect that they are and just are called two different names in different manuals. When it gets cold enough to have to use the glow plugs where I am they seem to work with no faults. However now I find that the relay that controls them is not there in my tractor.

The service manual does have a fuse located in the F10 position which is the F8 position in the owners manual which the owners manual says is blank. The wiring diagram show this circuit to be the right and left turn light circuit. If I remove the fuse in the owners manual F8/service manual F10 position location the turn signals continue to work fine. I have been unable to figure this fuse's reason to be.

Questions
Does everyone else have a F8 fuse of 20 amps that runs anything?

Do your owner's manuals (newer ones) show this fuse?

Reason for this investigation into the fuse box is that I have been trying to figure out if I can use the existing fuse box/load center to run another fusible link wire from the battery to an empty position and then fuse it at the box to create two new circuits for the tractor. I would rather use a fuse box than just have fuses on loose wires running around waiting to have the fuse vibrate out.

I have multiple unused and unpowered slots that I could use if I figure this out and can find the correct terminals to add into the unused slots of the box.

/ JD 4x20 Electrical system question #2  
Does the owners manual have a serial number range? Does it match your tractor's serial number? You may have received an older, out dated, book for your tractor.

See if F8 is the headlights.

/ JD 4x20 Electrical system question
Does the owners manual have a serial number range? Does it match your tractor's serial number? You may have received an older, out dated, book for your tractor.

See if F8 is the headlights.

No; The fuse (second row third in from the left) that is in the owners manual position F7 and service manual position F9 runs the headlights.
I have to re-run the wiring both on the tractor and in the service manual and compare again. I am beginning to think my service manual does not match the tractor and the operators manual does not match the tractor. The operators manual came from the dealer with the tractor and the service manual from JD pubs after I gave them the serial number.

/ JD 4x20 Electrical system question #4  
What is your serial #? You can x out last three digits

/ JD 4x20 Electrical system question
LV4720H470xxx
The operators manual I have is OMLVU17927 J5
Service Manual is tm2137cd_19_01dec06

No where in the Operators manual is there a serial number range that I can find but if you goto the JD manual site it show mine to be the correct manual without the J5. I suspect that the J5 maybe the variation for year.

/ JD 4x20 Electrical system question #6  
I think the J is the month and the 5 is year the manual was issued or updated.
J, not as in January, but as in A,B.C,D, etc. So the tenth month, unless they skip I, the ninth month.
My JD 6415's manual states serial number 398791-, but it's a German made tractor, so that may be why. And Issue G5

/ JD 4x20 Electrical system question #7  
Latest manual for your tractor on JD's web site is J7. It also shows F8 as blank.
I'd be pulling the panel and seeing if I could trace the wires from F8. Later tractors (past your serial number by a long way) had F8 for headlights, which is why I asked.
Interesting mystery.