JD 5055E PTO Disengages

/ JD 5055E PTO Disengages #1  

Billy202

Tractor
JD 5055E, JD 625 Gator, MF 150
Hey guys, I am having problems with the PTO disengaging after a few minutes. the temperature didn't seem to be running high, but we saw on these forums that it might be overheating. We have already cleaned the radiator and oil cooler, topped off the antifreeze. Other comments mentioned the seat switch, so that is getting checked next. Any other ideas? Thanks for any help.

/ JD 5055E PTO Disengages #2  
:welcome: to TBN
Is that a lever PTO control that is connected to a cable? If so, look for an adjustment.

Do you have the service tech manual? If not, may be a good time to track one down.

/ JD 5055E PTO Disengages
Thanks for the reply, but no, this one is a pull knob. Electronic, not cable. We did find something that "may" have been the problem. The Economy handle (under and behind the seat) was not fully engaged. We reset it and so far it lasted a couple test rounds with the mower and we will try the baler in a few minutes.
You are right about the manual. I will have to track one down.

/ JD 5055E PTO Disengages
The reset of the economy lever worked fine. We finished the field with no trouble.

/ JD 5055E PTO Disengages #5  
I have a 5075e and one of the issues I have with the tractor is the PTO in economy mode will go from zero to 300 rpm as soon as you engage the PTO which is quite a shock to a big bush hog when you fire up the PTO. For me I've found it better to leave the PTO shift in normal mode and run the tractor at 1800 rpm lowering the shaft speed from 540 to 463 which allows the tractor to stay at an RPM that has more usable power. The fuel economy compared to my old 5303 2WD is about half so I'm using fuel at twice the rate as I'm used to. The EPA needs to get out of the tractor biz and leave these machines alone. Losing this much fuel economy for almost no gains in emission's reductions is laughable.