JD 5303 RPM problem

/ JD 5303 RPM problem #1  

budlite

Silver Member
Tractor
NH Workmaster 75
I was cutting this morning, and after about an hour when I re-engaged the PTO to power the rotary cutter the rpm would not recover to 2400 and the engine started smoking. I applied full throttle and the rpm still did not recover. Is this a fuel problem?

I'm going to check the air filters, fuel lines, etc. The tractor set a while over the winter, so maybe its an old fuel issue?

/ JD 5303 RPM problem
Changed air filters (dirty but not filthy). drained some fuel from tank (fuel looked good) and fuel filter (fair amount of sediment) and added more fresh fuel. Hoping this does it, going out to see if I can finish cutting.

/ JD 5303 RPM problem
Worked great - for about 10 mins then same problem.

/ JD 5303 RPM problem #4  
sounds like trash in the tank stopping up the flow, I'd drain the tank and remove the shutoff valve in it, it has a strainer that I'd bet is clogging up

/ JD 5303 RPM problem #5  
If the 5303 was my tractor I'd install a new fuel filter & check for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump. Also check to be sure fuel tank is venting.

/ JD 5303 RPM problem #6  
sounds like trash in the tank stopping up the flow, I'd drain the tank and remove the shutoff valve in it, it has a strainer that I'd bet is clogging up

This or old fuel gone bad is my guess.

/ JD 5303 RPM problem
I did drain more sediment from fuel filter until it ran clear for a bit. I also removed fuel drain plug and drained about a gallon of fuel (it was clear, no sediment. After this it was much better, but bogged down slightly in thicker grass Not sure, but seems to be using more fuel than usual. About to go cut a bit more to see how it does. Thinking some sort of injector cleaner additive might help, but not sure what to use.

Last edited:
   / JD 5303 RPM problem
Ran well for about an hour, then rpm would drop as before, but not as much. Also would started emitting gray smoke once problem reappeared

/ JD 5303 RPM problem #9  
Did you check for good fuel flow from tank to inj pump????????????? Did you check to determine if tank is venting???????????

/ JD 5303 RPM problem #10  

Did ya clean off the strainer on the valve?? Most times the suction of fuel leaving will stop them up, them when motor dies or is shut off the trash floats off, until you go again