Price Check JD 5303

/ JD 5303 #21  
my next tractor i buy will be a John Deere with ALL the bells and whistles it can possibly come with. the only thing that stopped me from buying a 5325/5425 fully loaded was $$$. i could have afforded one, i just didn't want to have to explain to my family and friends why i lived in a tractor.:laughing:

There ya go - I am happy I went with the 5525.

When I was looking at the 5303 I went with a 4720 instead. The features are nice.

D.

/ JD 5303 #22  
I remember my grandpa's pickup didn't have a heater built in it, seems like a tough way to save money. In those days pickups were about $2000 and now there up to $60,000. I think alot of the concern people have with choosing cab vs. open station is based on there early life experiences when cabs were unavailable on these small tractors. Makes some people feel the need for extra justification of sorts, but think nothing of buying a new pickup with automatic, hvac and power windows.

I agree that pickup prices have gotten silly.

Down here in Texas if you spend much time on a tractor you should have a cab. I grew up on open stations, but man. Between the heat, the dirt, and all the crap that comes flying at you I will take a cab. I have broken multiple windows out of my cab tractors. I wonder how that would have turned out if I was running an open station.

D.

/ JD 5303 #23  
Down here in Texas if you spend much time on a tractor you should have a cab.

That makes sense. In my case, the tractor is about 80% toy and 20% tool. I suspect that in your case the ratio is reversed. Plus, I don't live in summertime sauna land. And I don't have to deal with insects that could carry a Buick.

Now someone is going to have to answer the OP's original question about running a haybine and baler. The size of the implements would be helpful here, but I suspect that a 5303 should be able to run anything the ol' 2010 did.

/ JD 5303 #24  
Darin,
Glass is cheap compared to having your head examined.:laughing:

/ JD 5303 #25  
That makes sense. In my case, the tractor is about 80% toy and 20% tool. I suspect that in your case the ratio is reversed. Plus, I don't live in summertime sauna land. And I don't have to deal with insects that could carry a Buick.

Now someone is going to have to answer the OP's original question about running a haybine and baler. The size of the implements would be helpful here, but I suspect that a 5303 should be able to run anything the ol' 2010 did.

I suspect it will be fine, but you are right. It would be best to know which models, etc. Weight, power, etc.

D.

/ JD 5303 #26  
Darin,
Glass is cheap compared to having your head examined.:laughing:

That sounds right until you have to buy a couple of them. :)

When I had my batwing (with safety chains) throw a piece of rebar thru the rear lower window I was really happy to have bought a cab tractor.

D.

/ JD 5303 #27  
I've had a 5303 since July 2003. We use it with a NH472 haybine, NH Super66 baler, rake, tedder and to pull a haywagon with 90 bales per load. We put in 800-1000 bales a year so we're not a huge operation, but it has been an incredibly reliable tractor.

We also have a 6' King Kutter rototiller and 6' brush-hog - it spins both easily. This tractor is economical, powerful and a pleasure to use. The "open platform" station with no stepping over gearshift levers, etc. is something I will definitely look for if/when I get another tractor.

We're currently looking to upgrade up to a 8' or 9' discbine to replace the aging 472 sickle bine - the one thing I found surprising is that with 55hp at the PTO there are very few discbines that can be run with it - many 540rpm ones need 60+hp at the PTO.

The only negative comment I have is that the tractor doesn't have shuttle-shift which makes loader work a bit of a pain, but none of the tractors I've been driving since I was a kid had it either so I just deal with it - it would be nice though!!

On a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 9+

/ JD 5303 #28  
I have had a 5203. It was an awesome tractor. Thought about buying another.

/ JD 5303 #30  
I too would like to see some hard facts that back up that statement.

As would I, the 5000 03 series units have been a darn good tractor. Product support would be worth something to me, probably not the same everywhere but my nearest Mahindra dealer is over 300 miles away. I would have to drive by 4 JD dealers (as well as Kubota, agco, case etc.) to get to them.