Oil & Fuel Jd 850

/ Jd 850 #1  

Ronzoni

Tractor
model 850 John Deere
How crucial is it to use JD hydraulic fluid?

/ Jd 850 #2  
I'm sure that as long as the specifications of the alternate hydraulic fluid matches the recommended in the manual for your (at a minimum) 30yo tractor, you'll be fine.

Mind you, hydraulic fluid and the relative filter(s) have a long operating life. I, personally, do not skimp & they are the only things that I insist are OEM.

/ Jd 850 #3  
How crucial is it to use JD hydraulic fluid?

I assume the 850 uses the same hydraulic fluid as my 1050 ... John Deere Hy-gard Low Viscosity.

If you find a suitable alternative, let me know. It has been my understanding you cannot use the non low viscosity (which every other tractor in the planet apparently uses) in the 850/950/1050 series, and thus we're "stuck" running the $14/gallon version rather than the $7/gallon version of hydraulic oil you can buy virtually anywhere.

/ Jd 850 #4  
I previously owned a 1050 tractor which I originally used regular Hygard oil in the hydraulic system. I found it to work well until cold weather hit. The hydraulic's slowed down noticeably and the colder it was the worse they slowed. At the suggestion of my JD dealer I switched to low viscosity hygard and my problems went away. I use only hygard in my machine and have chosen to pay the cost since it doesn't get changed that often. I think in an older gear driven machine like the 850 an oil that meets JD spec should be fine except for winter use.

/ Jd 850 #5  
How many "years" go by (each with a winter season) between hyd. oil changes?

Seems the little additional expense to get the hyd. oil that will go 'year around' is the best choice..