Price Check JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price?

/ JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price? #11  
6 months ago I would have said that the 855 was a steal! I bought a 2000 445 with 60" deck in 2002 with 200 hrs on it for $5200. We rent out our small farm each year, but decided to put about 6 or 7 acres in hardwoods last year. I mowed between the newly planted trees a couple of time with the 445 and decided to keep my eye out for something larger. I was hoping to find a 750-755 or 850-855. If that 855 would have been close by I would have jumped on it. But then..... I found a 1050 with 3100 hrs for $1500. It's perfect for me. The 445 has a 3-point and I was using a boxblade with it along with dirt scoop and a few other attachments. After finding a hyd dump MCS for it I thought it was better to use it only for grass cutting and find something else for my "tractor" work. It's much better to have two machines, one for mowing and another for other things. My original intent was to find something just like the 855 and sell my 445. I'm really glad I decided to keep the 445. If you can only have one, I'd say the 855 would be OK. A little large for the yard, and slightly small for the other work, but you could do worse! I personally like the 855, but just couldn't turn down the deal on the 1050.

/ JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price? #12  
Here's a pic of the deal I found. 1050

/ JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price? #13  
Looks like a pretty clean, straight tractor. However, from the pictures, it looks like you'll have to set the tractor up with the dual SCV unit to use a FEL in the future as well as a front blade. No leaks and all the seals look good? AntiFreeze and hydraulic oil check out, clean? Crankcase oil, OK? Nothing smells burnt when you checked the fluids? As mentioned, a Model 70 or 70A FEL is kinda rare to see on it's own. Might ask the dealer if he's got a line on one and also inquire how much to plumb in the SCV. I only seen a few 380 or 380A front blades around, too. Anyways, good luck and happy tractorin'. AKfish /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

/ JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price? #14  
I couldn't believe the deal. They put a clutch in it a couple of years ago, put brakes on last year, and had changed all the fluids, filters, and even replaced the fan belt.The head gasket is seeping just a little on the left side and I'm replacing it this weekend. Everything else is dry with no leaks. It does not have power steering, but does have a dual scv. A FEL is not a high priority for me, but it would be a nice but seldom used attachment. It has 3100 hrs and runs perfectly. i'm /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif A front blade would be nice! You say it takes a 380 or 380A blade? I would like to find one of those.

/ JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price? #15  
I had an 855 for twelve years. I bought it in 1987, and traded it in 1999. It was a trouble free machine all around. As far as the slight creeping goes, that is just a simple adjustment in the hydro pedals. I had the 855 w/ model 52 Front Loader and 60" front bucket. Mine also had the model 60" Belly Mower. It was a great machine. But if you are looking for loaders, I believe you will want the model 70A Loader. The model 52 Loader was discontinued about four years after owning my machine. I had almost 900 hours on it back in 99' when I traded it in.

Originally bought tractor/loader/mower in 87, for $14,700.00
Traded it in with over 900 hours on it, I got $12,400.00 for trade in value. I thought that was a deal and a half. They've held their value very well.

/ JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price? #16  
Sorry, if I created some confusion with the threads here. The 380 and 380A front blades will fit the 855. The difference between the two models is that the A model is quick attach. The 390 front blade will fit the older JD 1050. It's a quick attach model like the 380A. I haven't seen very many 390's out and about either. I think when somebody gets their hands on one --- they keep it until they upgrade or die!
The model 70 and 70A loaders are similar in the distinction that one is a fixed model and the other is quick attach. This FEL will fit the 855; not the 1050. You'll need the model 80 FEL for the 1050 (although, I have seen a few of the older model 75's FEL for the 1050 out and about). Hope this clear's things up... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif AKfish

/ JD 855 w/mower Opinions? Price?
Hi guys

thanks for the info. have to call the dealer again tomorrow... Still talking thru numbers.

I wasn't confused by the loader info. I think GSTOTT just needs a new thread really. He is the only one talking about a 1050! lol.

Thanks in any case I appreciate your suggestions!