JD 990

/ JD 990 #1  

JLWjr

Tractor
Ford 1700
I recently purchased a 2002, 2wd, 990 with 774 hours. No maintenance history. I plan to change filters/fluids and alternator belt. Will appreciate any advice. The online manual I'm using doesn't mention the fuel filter under the fuel tank.

/ JD 990 #2  
Would suggest getting a copy of the service tech manual.. sounds like a good tractor

/ JD 990 #3  
I would change the fuel fllter. If a cartridge type filter, make sure you get the inner oring and the bowl oring.

/ JD 990 #4  
I recently purchased a 2002, 2wd, 990 with 774 hours. No maintenance history. I plan to change filters/fluids and alternator belt. Will appreciate any advice. The online manual I'm using doesn't mention the fuel filter under the fuel tank.
The one under the tank is a water trap / separator, go ahead and take it apart and wash it out element should be washable

/ JD 990
The one under the tank is a water trap / separator, go ahead and take it apart and wash it out element should be washable
Many thanks. I'm slowly getting to all the fluid and filter changes.

/ JD 990
I have completed the fluids and filters changes. I now have an issue with the transmission oil change. The manual states "approximately 5.5 gallons" to replace the oil. The issue is that the dip stick is indicating a low level. Oil is only covering the tip of the dip stick with nearly 6 gallons poured in. Anyone have a possible explanation?
Thanks

/ JD 990 #7  
I have completed the fluids and filters changes. I now have an issue with the transmission oil change. The manual states "approximately 5.5 gallons" to replace the oil. The issue is that the dip stick is indicating a low level. Oil is only covering the tip of the dip stick with nearly 6 gallons poured in. Anyone have a possible explanation?
Thanks

Tractor transmission specifications are notorious for the spec capacity being different from what goes back in. It's usually the other way around though... 5.5g spec, and only 5.0 goes back in. Likely due to the difference between a factory "bone dry" fill, and an incomplete drain.
I would run the machine for a little while and see if it changes. If it still reads low, add whatever is necessary to get the correct dipstick level.

/ JD 990
Thanks. That's the plan as soon as I have more oil in hand.