JD B Pulley Bearing Question

/ JD B Pulley Bearing Question #1  

jmauderly

Tractor
John Deere B
Just finished adjusting clutch on a total-up restoration of a 1948 B, and everything works great. However, I have a more noise than normal in the pulley-transmission when in gear (noise stops when pulley stops. I rebuilt bearings in the transmission, so suspect the pulley set-up. I replaced the crankshaft with a good used one, and put in a new pulley roller bearing and seal. I don't see how the Pulley roller bearing is lubricated on a late (212,873) B, but the manual doesn't talk about packing the bearing so I assumed it was oiled somehow. Was I supposed to pack the bearing with grease?

/ JD B Pulley Bearing Question #2  
IIRC the brg requires packing with grease before installation.

/ JD B Pulley Bearing Question #3  
Just to clarify, the noise is there when the pulley is rotating, but stops when the pulley stops? If that is the case it is unlikely to be the pulley bearing. When the clutch is engaged the pulley is spinning with the crankshaft, so the bearing isn't turning. That bearing should be lightly packed with high temp grease though.

You say that the bearings in the transmission were redone. How about the first reduction gear that is driven from the pulley gear? Has that been looked at?

Do you get the noise when the transmission is in neutral with the clutch engaged, or do the rear wheels need to be turning?

/ JD B Pulley Bearing Question #4  
I see you replaced the crank shaft. The driving disk mounts on the splined end of the crank. If either the splines on the crank or in the driving disk are worn that can make some noise.

/ JD B Pulley Bearing Question
Yes, after posting the question, it occurred to me that the pulley bearing isn't a factor when the clutch is engaged. After parading the tractor with some other As and Bs, I'm not sure that the noise is excessive. However, it occurs only with wheels in motion, and mostly disappears when going downhill. I replaced both the transmission drive shaft bearing and the first reduction gear bearing. I didn't replace anything in the differential or final drive because all the gears looked good and the seals weren't leaking, so I guess some noise may be coming from the final drive area.

/ JD B Pulley Bearing Question #6  
Just finished adjusting clutch on a total-up restoration of a 1948 B, and everything works great. However, I have a more noise than normal in the pulley-transmission when in gear (noise stops when pulley stops. I rebuilt bearings in the transmission, so suspect the pulley set-up. I replaced the crankshaft with a good used one, and put in a new pulley roller bearing and seal. I don't see how the Pulley roller bearing is lubricated on a late (212,873) B, but the manual doesn't talk about packing the bearing so I assumed it was oiled somehow. Was I supposed to pack the bearing with grease?

Don't run it any more,but yes its suppose to be packed.