JD B Water Leak Question

/ JD B Water Leak Question #1  

jmauderly

Tractor
John Deere B
On a 1948 restored B (same as in recent posted questions), I'm getting a slow water drip that I traced to the top of the right front manifold bolt. Of all the places for leaks, I never expected that. It's definitely coming from around the threads of the manifold stud, and not running there from somewhere else. About a half cup of coolant a day. I don't recall from putting in new studs, but I assume that the stud hole bottoms out in the water jacket. If so, could coolant be seeping up through the bottom threads, up through the manifold bolt channel, and out the top? Seems hard to believe with everything tightened up, but that's all I can figure out (unless it's a cracked head or some other more sinister problem). If this makes sense, I guess the fix is to strip it down to remove the manifold, and put sealant around the bottom stud threads (as I recall, I did use some Loctite). Any alternative suggestions?

/ JD B Water Leak Question #2  
I had a similar leak on a CAT engine. Get a bottle of Bars Leaks Copper Seal and follow the label instructions. $10 at most parts stores. That should do it.

/ JD B Water Leak Question #3  
You need Permatex sealant on the studs and it should be ok.

/ JD B Water Leak Question #4  
I use the Permatex sealer that has Teflon in it to seal head bolts that penetrate into the coolant channels in the block.
Hope you post photos of your JD B restoration soon. I'm busy trying to locate one for sale around here. So far no luck--but the hunt is at least half of the fun of finding/restoring old iron. Today I installed the new clutch on the 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF tractor (25 hp gas engine) that I've been rebuilding slowing over the past 3 years or so. The engine runs fine on the run stand.

Hercules engine run no 1 29jun2012 - YouTube

Just need to get all the parts bolted together--hopefully by the end of the month.