JD Rear Light Kit

/ JD Rear Light Kit #1  

RobS

Tractor
None!
I just finished installing the Deere light kit on my 790. Took all of five minutes as it bolts into the existing holes on the rear fender (either side) and plugs into the existing wiring beside the seat. Cost me $36 from my dealer and I picked up a couple of chain binders on sale at the same time /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I can't yet comment on the light output although it did light up the inside of my garage door pretty well. It was too cold outside to justify playing with it and no new snow to justify actually using it.

Rob
18-25126-790sig.gif

/ JD Rear Light Kit #2  
My work lamp is sitting in my to do box. It's a ROP mounted. Problem is I wanted the larger lens and the mounting stud is much larger... means drilling (enlarging) the hole in the ROPS. So now I'm going to make an "aluminum mount" and U-Bolt that to the ROPS with an external switch.

I also picked up a magnetic mount at Quality Farm & Family for $20. That means I have to install a "cigar lighter" plug on the tractor to plug it in.

Isn't it fun, out browsing at the farm stores, buying these things that "someday" I'm sure gonna need.....?

/ JD Rear Light Kit #3  
Rob,
Was that one or two lights? What's the wattage on the lights (each)? I would guess you used the plugs under the seat, right? My only problem with them is that the circuit is only on when the headlights are on AND the flashers are off /w3tcompact/icons/crazy.gif.

I use mine when snowblowing, which I do at about 5:30 a.m. When I get down next to the road I want to flip on the flashers, but then I don't have any back light /w3tcompact/icons/shocked.gif, so today I picked up another 35W light that I am running through its own switch and will mount directly on the blower (an idea I got from someone else, but can not for the life of me remember who /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif). That way the light will work even with the flashers, as well as keeping the light below the snowblower's exhaust plume /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ JD Rear Light Kit #4  
Yes, that wire harness under the seat is "switched". You can tie into the 7 wire trailer harness for "hot" all the time and mount a switch at the device.

I went to Quality Farm & Family last night, closing lots of stuff out... Bought another Hobbs 5 x 7, 55 Watt Rear Work Light, Original Price $24.95 marked down to $7.00 and then 50% off table...$3.50! (new opened package-customer return)

I originally went to get another Drawbar hook (misplaced mine?) for $14.95... lo and behold, guess what was sitting on the 50% Off table.... Yep! Another Drawbar hook for $7.50!

I also picked up a "live" mouse trap for my youngest daughter, for $3.25. When I came home and gave it to her, you'd think she hit the Lottery. "Wow Pa, this will catch up to 12 mice!" I got up this a.m. and saw it on the kitchen counter... I know "Mama" will love this!

/ JD Rear Light Kit
Mark, I put on one light though the wiring and holes are there for two. I forgot to check the wattage but it's probably nothing extreme. Seems to do a good job of lighting the tph area and the work area behind my blade. I still haven't had a chance to actually use it yet.

I have thought of rewiring so I can control the light independant of the flashers like you mentioned. I'll save that project for when everything else is caught up AND the kids don't want to play with me (read: never) /w3tcompact/icons/tongue.gif

Rob
18-25126-790sig.gif

/ JD Rear Light Kit #6  
Mounted the snowblower light yesterday. It's a trapezoid, so I think it might not work as well as I'd thought. Gotta get some snow to find out /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif. If it turns out the light is too focused, I'm going to mount this light on my left fender and get a couple of small fog lamps for the snowblower. I'm also thinking that I may re-mount the lights on a backblade (hope to get one soon /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif) during the summer.

I mounted the switch right on my dashboard, to the left of the key. I picked it up at Home Depot. It was marked as weather-proof, but they also had little rubber boots to cover the switch itself, so I got that. I guess I'm pretty paranoid, but this is definately going to be in a wet environment. I'll post pictures when the roll gets developed (somewhere between the next 6 days and the next 6 months /w3tcompact/icons/blush.gif)

<font color=green>mark</font color=green>
markcg_sig.gif

/ JD Rear Light Kit #7  
Most of the halogen worklamps can be upgraded from 35w.---> 55w. for under $4. Just open the housing and change it.

While the housing is apart, drill a hole on the bottom or side and mount a pushbutton switch there.