JD Starter Advice

/ JD Starter Advice #1  

2640JD

Tractor
JD 2640
My starter on my '76 JD 2619 diesel is getting weak. My question is that there is gear reduction starters available for the tractor and was wondering if that would be a recommended upgrade to the starting system From what i've read on the Internet, there is less current required, so easier on batteries. lighter.
Does the GR unit spin as fast?

Any advice would be appreciated.
Tim

/ JD Starter Advice
My starter on my '76 JD 2619 diesel is getting weak. My question is that there is gear reduction starters available for the tractor and was wondering if that would be a recommended upgrade to the starting system From what i've read on the Internet, there is less current required, so easier on batteries. lighter.

Tim

Should read 2640! This typing thing!:rolleyes:

/ JD Starter Advice #3  
Is this the one?
212414790_tp.jpg
Just a thought, but how long has it been since you serviced the starter and related equipment such as battery cables and connections? Before I would get in a hurry to replace the fairly expensive starter, I would pull it off and go through it, basically overhauling it. It's quite amazing what even just a good cleaning and re-lubing job will do! (Don't use grease on the bendix if you do decide to lube it, use Anti-Seize and wipe most of it off leaving just a very very very light coating on the sliding surfaces if you live in cold weather country, grease causes it to hang up on really cold winter days.) Maybe it needs bushings/bearings and brushes. It looks like it has a solenoid on it like old Chevy starters had and I know those things would burn the contacts inside after several years of service and that definitely will result in a high resistance connection and poor cranking performance. Solenoids are replaceable and fall into the catagory of diminishing returns as far as trying to take them apart and fix them but that isn't saying I didn't do it! :D Also, examine your battery cables closely at the battery end to make sure the wire inside the insulation hasn't corroded away to any degree. This happens sometimes from battery acid wicking down inside them, (even when the outer insulation looks to be in primo condition) and results in a cable of diminished ampacity and once again poor cranking performance. It almost goes without saying that the battery has to be in good condition of course but it's sometimes overlooked! Don't ask me how I know that... :eek:
I know all this doesn't really answer your question, but you might not need to buy a complete new starter. That being said and done, a complete drop-in is a lot easier and faster and a lot less bother too! If you aren't inclined to put that much work into the original starter for whatever reasons, it might be worth it. Do you need to upgrade to a new gear reduction starter? Who knows? The old one worked for 33 years didn't it?:D

/ JD Starter Advice
Thats the one I might go to.
I've replaced the batteries and cleaned all the connections.
Tim

/ JD Starter Advice #5  

Tim

Here is another thought...I have a JD 3020 and the starters are very expensive to replace but we have an automotive electrical repair shop in our town and I pulled the starter and they rebuilt it for a small fraction of what a new on would cost..always on starters, generators check and see if you have a local shop that services them before buying new.

/ JD Starter Advice #6  
the unit pictured is called a delco 28mt this is a planetary gear starter which basically means they are three gears ran by a big gear that turns the drive to crank. this ismuch more powerful than the old type direct drive you now have. the gear reduction is also available for about $165.00 from my company. the gear reduction also uses a series of gears but delivers more torque at the drive than both of the above mentioned starters and is the coming starter on most ag units. if you would call me tommorrow at 800-303-3170 i will give you the measurements for the off set gear reduction is somewhat taller but also somewhat shorter than your original unit but by my john deere site this is what you can buy from them. hope this helps.

thanks

mitch becton