JD2210 rough start, mostly in winter

/ JD2210 rough start, mostly in winter #1  

DanMc77

Gold Member
Tractor
JD 4600, JD 2210, JD 332
So grateful for this forum!

I have 3 tractors: JD4600, JD332, and the newest (to me), the JD2210, all Yanmar diesels.

The 4600 and 332 both start on the first compression stroke and never skip a beat. They start up like a clock.

The 2210, on the other hand, with 380 hours, in the winter cold, coughs and smokes for a few seconds on start, but clears up and runs like a top after about 3-5 seconds. In the summertime, it starts up pretty clean, maybe one burp. No smoke, and no other issues.

I had a buddy suggest that one or more of the glow plugs is dead. I checked them with a meter and measured about 4 ohms on each one. I put a meter on volts, and each one when energized measured about 9.5 volts. All of this suggests to me that the glow plugs are fine.

I had another buddy that said, that all diesels start rough in the winter. But my 4600 and 332 must be exceptions to that "all".

What are your thoughts on this? It it "normal" to start rough in the winter?

Edit: Could there be carbon buildup on the glow plugs, or some other issue?

Thanks!

Last edited:
   / JD2210 rough start, mostly in winter #2  
Could be carbon buildup. Are you going to tear it down and find out?

/ JD2210 rough start, mostly in winter
I am not going to tear it down for a few burps and farts on start when its cold, when it runs perfectly otherwise.

It is normal for a diesel to start up rough in the cold? Maybe I should change out the glow plugs anyway?

/ JD2210 rough start, mostly in winter #4  
I wouldn't do anything, my new Yanmar SA425 does that. It's just the nature of that tractor and motor. Every diesel engine starts differently.

Try starting a Massey Ferguson with the iseki engine in the winter. It will make you appreciate the Yanmar starting.

/ JD2210 rough start, mostly in winter #5  
I have a JD 2025r. Mine is similar on startup when it’s cold out. Quite a bit of smoke and pretty rough for a few seconds. It helps if I cycle the glow plugs twice and don’t start it at idle but give it a little throttle.