jd4100 charging system not working

/ jd4100 charging system not working #1  

jscran

Tractor
jd4100
Have a 4100 jd compact that keeps draining battery during use.Need to know how to locate and check safety relay as was told could not be allowing alternator charge to return to battery.Any other suggestions? after buying new battery and then alternater looking for answers.

/ jd4100 charging system not working #2  
You will have to find out if its a case of the alternator not charging, or if there is a load on the system greater than that little alternator can keep up with (about 35 amps if I remember). When I run both my front and rear work lights my charging system can't really keep up, especially at low rpm.
With no lights, radios, etc running the only load on your system should be the fuel solenoid, a fraction of an amp. How quickly does your battery discharge? It should last for many hours if the only load is the solenoid.....

/ jd4100 charging system not working #3  
you john deere has what is called a permanent magnet alternator/charging system it allows only enough power to run the very basics on the tractor. the permanent magnet systems is built one of 2 ways it has the regulator/rectifier built onto the back of the unit or it is located elsewhere on the tractor. there should be a part number on your unit that begins with the letters gp99**. if you can post which style you have might be able to help you locate the drain source if yours has the external regulator/rectifier and you did not change it that would be the first place to look these can be bought through deere and many aftermarket sources such as your local alternator starer rebuilders. if you need to please call me my number is 678-478-7427.

mitch becton

/ jd4100 charging system not working #4  
What voltage are you seeing before starting and during running ?