JD650 Repair Manuals

/ JD650 Repair Manuals #1  

Jtid

Tractor
John Deere 650
I'm doing a quick head gasket repair on an 1981 jd 650. Any suggestions? Does anyone have a PDF of a repair manual?

/ JD650 Repair Manuals #2  
It should say, "I'm TRYING to do a heads gasket repair".. lol
Get the manual FIRST.. or your next thread will read, "MY 650 wont start after HG repair"..
Sorry but I'm no help w/ the manual..
Take the rocker arm assy. off as a unit.. leave the adj. alone for now.. just take the whole rack off & set it aside..
THAT WAY, you'll atleast be close..
Check the push rods for straightness.. easy way is to roll them across a counter top..
Leave the thermostat OUT on first start up & use WATER.. THAT WAY, if somethings wrong you didn't waste any money..
Get the radiator replaced or CHECKED.. most HG repairs are do to overheating.. you probably don't wanna do it twice..??
Good luck w/ the repair & let us know how it went..

/ JD650 Repair Manuals
It should say, "I'm TRYING to do a heads gasket repair".. lol
Get the manual FIRST.. or your next thread will read, "MY 650 wont start after HG repair"..
Sorry but I'm no help w/ the manual..
Take the rocker arm assy. off as a unit.. leave the adj. alone for now.. just take the whole rack off & set it aside..
THAT WAY, you'll atleast be close..
Check the push rods for straightness.. easy way is to roll them across a counter top..
Leave the thermostat OUT on first start up & use WATER.. THAT WAY, if somethings wrong you didn't waste any money..
Get the radiator replaced or CHECKED.. most HG repairs are do to overheating.. you probably don't wanna do it twice..??
Good luck w/ the repair & let us know how it went..

Thanks. What gaskets will I need besides the Head Gasket? Only the valve cover gasket? Also, should I worry that the clutch is stuck? I'm wanting to stop the project due to the numerous problems. What do you think?

/ JD650 Repair Manuals #4  
Thanks. What gaskets will I need besides the Head Gasket? Only the valve cover gasket? Also, should I worry that the clutch is stuck? I'm wanting to stop the project due to the numerous problems. What do you think?

I think you should hit a local Deere dealer, if you haven't. They may have the specs...possibly even a copy of the manual you need
IIRC, the 650 uses a 2 cylinder Yanmar engine...good thing, Yanmar has been manufacturing small industrial and marine diesels for decades. Reasonable chance if you can't get what you need through Deere, Yanmar may be able to provide info

/ JD650 Repair Manuals #5  
I've never worked on a 650 so not much help. I've done a couple of 950's and Deere fully supports that engine, at least all the parts I priced. Like pump guy says, get a service manual.

Parts diagrams ware available here

John Deere - Parts Catalog

You'll probably need exhaust gaskets and maybe some gaskets at the water pump. Not sure on the 650.

/ JD650 Repair Manuals #6  
Yanmar is BAD about not providing a "KIT".. I know w/ inj. pumps, you have to buy ALL gaskets & orings separately..
Not sure about the engines.. but IF its available.. get a HEAD SET. {gasket kit for the head}