John Deere 1023E vs 1025R

/ John Deere 1023E vs 1025R #1  

fieldman12

Gold Member
Tractor
2001 New Holland TN70,2003 John Deere 250 Series II skidsteer,1987 John Deere 2155,2013 John Deere 5055E MFWD,2007 Duramax 4x4 truck, 1973 MF 165,Artic Cat 550 Cougar sled
My dad is thinking about buying a sub compact tractor in near future. He is looking at MF, Kubota, and Deere. What is the main differences between these two? I assume the E is more of an Economy model and the R is more fancy. I know there is 2hp difference. Where is the 100lbs. of weight difference at? Seems specs are almost identical other than weight. Also how will each handle a 60" deck? What are most people paying for these units with just tractor and 60" deck to get an idea. Nice machines except the cheap hoods.

/ John Deere 1023E vs 1025R #2  
IIRC, the big difference is the 1025E has position control on the 3ph.

/ John Deere 1023E vs 1025R #3  
With regard to most frequently noticable items, I think the seat is different also.

Nick

/ John Deere 1023E vs 1025R #4  
The 1023E and 1025R are basically the same, yes. The 1023E is the economy model and the 1025R is the well-appointed one, though they are both basically the same. The 1025R includes a number of improvements that I found made the cost difference easy to justify (just bought mine two months ago): a more comfortable seat (suspension, high back, armrests), a tilt steering wheel (makes it easier to get on/off the tractor), additional foot pads (to reduce vibrations), fender-mounted work lights (even with the loader mounts, these provide a lot of good light). I haven't had use of the 1025R's position control for the 3PH; it sounds useful, but I won't find out until the spring. The attached toolbox has proven far more useful than I expected to keep a garage door opener, extra gloves, and a few rags accessible but out of the weather).

/ John Deere 1023E vs 1025R #5  
DEFINITELY get the 1025R: 3ph position control, easy-on PTO, good seat. The 1023E is basically like my JD 4010 that the slam-on PTO destroyed the driveline donut on, minus the 2 side brakes the 4010 had.

The seat is hugely better and more comfortable going over uneven terrain.

The position control allows you to set where you want your implement to be, mark it and rest assured that it'll go back to that point sight unseen.

The 2 hp isn't squat. I'd rather have 2 side brakes and less hp (no JD choice there).

Ralph

/ John Deere 1023E vs 1025R #6  
I can tell you that I looked at the Kubota and Deere seriously. Once I settled on Deere, it was initially a tough choice to see if I could justify the cost difference. For me I couldn't be happier with my 1025r. If you are like me, once you get the tractor you will be dreaming about many attachments. All said and done, the cost difference won't be much if you look at the entire price with attachments. The seat and the lights are the most noticeable upgrades in my opinion. To contradict myself, you would be happy with either. If the plan is to have it for a long time the upgrades are easy to justify.