John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions?

/ John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions? #1  

JBX

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota BX25
The 8 hp Kohler on my 1965 JD has been rebuilt twice, tinkered with a dozen or more times and still leaks oil and runs poorly. I have run out of patience. Thinking about replacing it with a Honda or Robin engine. Am not fond of B&S engines. Would like something quiet, dependable with same or more hp. Has anyone done this? Any suggestions?
Thanks.

/ John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions? #2  
Have you tryed finding a good used motor? The old Kholer singles are usely indestructable.

/ John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions? #3  
That's the cast iron Kohler if I remember right. Those things were bullet-proof and totally rebuildable, suprised you've had problems. Let me make sure I remember the tractor right, Variable speed trans, horizontal shaft engine, manual pto with brake mounted on right side of the engine, double sheaved for primary variator belt going back to variator to secondary belt going back to transaxle?

/ John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions? #4  
I have a buddy who collects 110s and 112s. You may have a collectors item./w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif If I remember right 65 was an early year. There may be someone out there who wants yours.

Chris

/ John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions? #5  
It seems odd that you've have so much trouble (especially after two rebuilds). Have you considered a second opinion?
Might be a more reasonable route than a new engine and an original engine might preserve the value.

If I'm not mistaken, you have a pretty desirable tractor on your hands.

/ John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions? #6  
You can buy a short block replacement from Kohler then put your stater,carb.etc..on it and a way you go.around $700

/ John Deere 110- bad engine- suggestions? #7  
I bought an 8 hp Kohler about this time last year for my Gravely. I paid $1080 for a complete new engine with electric start and an alternator. Transfering 35+ year old carb, governor, etc, to a new engine might not eliminate all the headaches.