John deere 175 hydro brake issue

/ John deere 175 hydro brake issue #1  

des53952

Tractor
John deere 175 hydro
Parking brake won't release on my j/d 175 hydro. Just bought it Friday, not very familiar with operations, first hydro operated machine I have used/ owned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

/ John deere 175 hydro brake issue #2  
Welcome to TractorByNet!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Lawn & Garden forum. :)

/ John deere 175 hydro brake issue
My deck lift/height adjust spring broke. Got a new one. Need to know attachment points and which end attaches where.

/ John deere 175 hydro brake issue #4  
I've been using a 175 Hydro since the 80's. :) My brake has always been a little tricky to release. On mine, to release the parking brake I must push the brake pedal in all the way and then pull up hard on the brake lock/unlock lever towards the unlock position. While pulling on the unlock lever I then release my foot from the brake pedal and it releases. The lock/unlock lever runs in a channel shaped like a candy cane. The long vertical is the unlock and the "hook" is the locked position. Mine will only release when I pull on the lever while it is positioned at the very top of the arc, in the middle of the hook part.

Hopefully my description makes sense.

Thanks for the tip. Your description makes perfect sense. After a good clean up and lube and using your instructions, it works just as you said. Many thanks again.
Another question if you don't mind. While disassembling the machine for the brake lock issue, the spring for the deck height adjust broke and I have no idea where to attach the new one the spring has a "normal" hook on one end and a long straight extension before the hook on the opposite end. Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

/ John deere 175 hydro brake issue #6  
I looked at my 175 this morning. I cannot see any of the linkage on the deck height adj. lever as everything is between the frame rails. Although the lever just slides back and forth and does not appear to have a spring attached to it. Which lever exactly are you referring to? The little lever on the left between your legs with the ruler marks that is used to set the cutting height? or the big tall arm to the left of the stearing wheel that is used to actually raise and lower the deck?

Can you take a photo of where the broken spring was attached?

Last edited:
It is for the little lever with the ruler markings. I will try to get some photos. My main problem is I am not sure where the spring was attached. When it broke, it flew off without me seeing where it was hooked

/ John deere 175 hydro brake issue #8  
Hmmm... interesting. With the deck raised, my little ruler lever just slides back and forth in the slot and it doesn't appear to have any spring tension on it.

I tried mowing without the spring with limited success. I set the deck at the height I wanted and it mowed just fine until I hit a bumpy area. The long adjust lever slipped off the cog and the deck fell almost to the ground. I reset the height and continued mowing. Went thru this procedure times until I finished mowing the yard. Not really a bad thing, just inconvenient.