John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft

/ John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft #1  

STEVEO53

Tractor
2320, 425, 960R
I have a JD 2320 with 400 hours on it. Purchased in 2008. Recently the drive shaft U joint failed, snapped the drive shaft off inside the rear end. John Deere and my dealer don't want to know anything about it. Worse case estimate from the service department is $6,700.00!!!!!!!!!!
When inspecting the damage it is noted that this is a sealed joint, unserviceable and no evidence of grease was found.
I can't help but feel that (1) This is a terrible design that can't be serviced and is to light for the tractor. (2) Appears that Deere and Co. are using some lower quality steel on these drive shafts.
I am interested to see if other people have had similar problems and what the outcome was.
Earlier today I spoke to a woman who purchased the same machine, same year and had the same problem a year ago!
My dealer tells me this has never happened before, this model is "rock solid" and that I have a rare occurence. Sorry, I don't believe them and have lost faith in John Deere.
Am I alone on this one?
Steveo53

/ John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft #2  
Sorry to hear of your disaster. You may consider contacting a engineering school to do an analysis of the steel. Schools may do the test for free as a teaching aid. This will let you know if the steel was defective.

Good luck with your solution.

/ John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft #3  
yours ain't the first nor will it be the last to break, more than likely u-joint went out and you did not notice and drive shaft broke

/ John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft #4  
There is quite a few threads in the JD forums on this issue. There was also a manual update that some dealers didn't even know about.

Attachments

• 2320 Update.pdf
    90.6 KB · Views: 370
   / John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft #5  
It's a common problem among many brands and models of the CUT. Out of sight and out of mind. The driveshaft is ignored until the tractor stops moving. Most have grease fittings that have never been greased. The operator's manual which calls for regular service is typically tossed in a corner and forgotten about. That said how far do highway vehicles travel now with sealed drive shaft U-Joints? A sealed U-Joint is better than a greasable U-Joint that has been over pumped and the seals blown.

/ John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft #6  
Is this the engine to transmission drive shaft? My 2010 has grease fittings on the U-joints.

/ John Deere 2320 Broken Drive Shaft #7  
It's a common problem among many brands and models of the CUT. Out of sight and out of mind. The driveshaft is ignored until the tractor stops moving. Most have grease fittings that have never been greased. The operator's manual which calls for regular service is typically tossed in a corner and forgotten about. That said how far do highway vehicles travel now with sealed drive shaft U-Joints? A sealed U-Joint is better than a greasable U-Joint that has been over pumped and the seals blown.

That's highly debatable. They went to non greaseable U-joints because they were cheaper, not because they were any better.

It is a myth that purging grease from a greaseable U-joint will damage the seals; they are designed to be purged.