John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal

/ John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal #1  

bigblock76

Bronze Member
Tractor
John Deere 2120, John Deere 3140, John Deere 2950, John Deere 7700 Combine, John Deere STX38
Any trick to getting the housing off other than taking off the 4 bolts and trying to put a screwdriver between the plate and the tractor to make it pop off?

Shaft seal leaks enough to tick you off and makes a mess. I've drained the tractor while doing the hydraulic fluid service and want to get this done before I fill it back up.

Pointers? Capture.JPG

/ John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal #2  
Any trick to getting the housing off other than taking off the 4 bolts and trying to put a screwdriver between the plate and the tractor to make it pop off?

Shaft seal leaks enough to tick you off and makes a mess. I've drained the tractor while doing the hydraulic fluid service and want to get this done before I fill it back up.

Pointers?View attachment 512089

Basically do just that. Pull bolts out and pop it off. Rubber mallet and pry bar. There might be a gasket behind the cap. Can't remember in this model.

/ John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal #3  
I'd suggest being real careful using a screwdriver, but suggest a thin bladed putty knife to work the plate loose.. especially if it is cast. Finding a replacement might be hard to do.

/ John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal #4  
Park tractor with frondend down a steep hill....then you do not have to drain any oil AND no worries about the coupler falling of the front shaft .

/ John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal
Park tractor with frondend down a steep hill....then you do not have to drain any oil AND no worries about the coupler falling of the front shaft .

I'll try with a thin scrapper blade to get in there to separate it. If the coupler does fall off, is it a problem to fish it out of the tractor? Any needle bearings that will come apart?

/ John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal #6  
Remember to check if its the seal OR the o-ring thats leaking ? I will replace both !

/ John Deere 2950 PTO Shaft Seal
Remember to check if its the seal OR the o-ring thats leaking ? I will replace both !

Just did that tonight guys. Thank you.

That large snap ring was a challenge but it got done!