Buying Advice John Deere 3038e or 3520

/ John Deere 3038e or 3520 #11  
Hi Y.V.
3038 is considered more of a entry level machine, maybe look more at the real specs in hyds loader lift capacity,three point hitch lift capacity is more, check PTO output, it easier to add non quick hitch attachments. engine torque and other things such as adding attachments in the future. 3038 did not support adding backhoe in 2010....Operator station is much different, simple seat on 38 highback on 3520, floor platform on 38 will allow more heat upward and is smaller, you go sit in both and maybe see what test drives the dealer may provide or other input from local customer base and if you plan on keeping machine for the long haul I like the the guy that said its only $400. more per year. Their is a difference......J.D. sales ten years and any brand name is good you just gotta use em'!!!!Get a quote from more than one dealer then you will see who wants the business Good luck and make sure they use a sharp pencil. an orange is not an apple, just so you know

/ John Deere 3038e or 3520 #12  
I love my 3038e ! Ive had mine now for just over 5 yrs and 640hrs on it and not a single issue yet other than a tire leaking calcium chloride liquid ballast early on. It's a 2010 model.

I use it mainly for clearing snow on a half mile driveway , I can clear snow without slipping hardly at all on packed ice even on slopes without using chains, that's pretty impressive. I use 4wd always though when clearing snow.

And I use it to carry hay bales into my barn and to lift em' up to the higher levels of the hay stack. Actually I'm doing this chore now. I use hay spears that chain up to my bucket for that chore. I also use it to clean the stalls in the barn often.

I have only used the PTO twice to run a hay elevator and it worked great on that job too. I would like to someday get a rear mower for it so I can cut some of the tall grass around here. Then I could put the PTO to a good test.

I have used it many other various ways as well and it's always met my expectations.

The down side is it has no scv's included and no cab , however you can get a decent aftermarket cab for these tractors now, I posted a thread somewhere in these forums a while back on a nice cab for these tractors.

I can also put 2 scv remotes in for an additional $800,00 through the dealership but I don't intend to. This tractor has all it needs for me. It's a good basic tractor and it is what it is. No fancy bells and whistles but it does great for what it's made for IMO.

Another downside is that the loader and bucket is rated for 1,000lbs. When I put that much weight in the bucket the tractor feels like the rear end wants to lift up even with the rear tires full of ballast. I prefer to only put 800 lbs max in it at a time as it feels safer with a bit less weight in the bucket than the rated spec.

I plan to eventually get a bigger tractor later as I want to cut and bale hay myself someday , but I will also keep my trusty 3038e for the smaller chores around the home and barn.

I can't really compare the two of them as I have never ran a 3520 but I just wanted to give you an idea of the dependability my 3038e has given me in the past 5 yrs. And still going strong !

Hope This Helps !

Last edited: