John Deere 4300

/ John Deere 4300 #1  

captjack6

Tractor
JD 4600
Hi My 4300 starts but when I put the shifter to forward or reverse the engine turns off. I want to know if there is a disconnect switch malfunctions and how to find it.

/ John Deere 4300 #2  
PTO possibly engaged, or switch bad?

/ John Deere 4300 #3  
Most likely seat safety switch. Flip seat up disconnect the wiring from the seat and then test by putting a small wire or paper clip into the wire connector to close the circuit. If that works then your seat safety switch is bad but its an easy fix though.

/ John Deere 4300
And I can use the tractor till get the switch. Thanks for your reply.
Jack

/ John Deere 4300 #5  
If the tractor moves by doing the bypass you can operate it but caution must be utilized because your seat safety switch is no longer functioning. That means PTO will operate without you in the seat and if climbing on off the tractor and you accidentally bump the direction lever the tractor will move. Anytime on/off the tractor I would recommend shutting the unit completely down which is good habit anyways regardless of safety switches.

/ John Deere 4300 #6  
First thing I jumper'd on my 4300 back in '98 was the seat switch. Mine is HST tranny but getting on/off on the left side with the step has little or no risk bumping something. If on a slope, will set the parking brake, but with forks in use and bucket on the FEL, driving seated just doesn't work for me.

Same with my lawn tractors. I get on and off often, and to have a mower PTO shut off while backing up, is beyond my comprehension of efficient operation. Neighbor lady must re-engage her mower deck 150 - 200 times each mowing as a result of the RIO

/ John Deere 4300
Most likely seat safety switch. Flip seat up disconnect the wiring from the seat and then test by putting a small wire or paper clip into the wire connector to close the circuit. If that works then your seat safety switch is bad but its an easy fix though.
Not the problem, I closed the circuit didnt help. Is there any other safety switchs that could prevent it from movings?