John Deere 4310 mid pro issue

/ John Deere 4310 mid pro issue #1  

Joyryd

Tractor
John Deere 4310

member​

Hi folks,
Looking for some help with my John Deere 4310 e hydro. My machine runs fine, after about 35 minutes of use the pto shuts off. It’s like an electrical issue after warm up. I can hear and see the main pto turn on and off with the button but the mid pto doesn’t. I can let it cool for a bit then the mid will start back up for a bit. I switched the relays in the fuse box with the lights. Just to isolate a bad relay. I bypassed the seat switch and replaced the solenoids all three on the valve bank. I even removed clean and tested then switched the plungers in the valve bank. I also opened the switch panel and tested the on and off pto knobs all tested good. Running out of ideas any help would be appreciated.

/ John Deere 4310 mid pro issue #2  
I admit I don't know much about these tractors, but problems such as this do interest me. Enough so that I will often study the situation a little if I can.

In this case it looks to me the tractor has two PTO clutch packs. One for main PTO and one for Mid PTO. You've pretty well covered all the bases for the external circuits, with the electrical and solenoid valve components. From my perspective (and again, no "hands on" experience here) I lean towards the Mid PTO clutch pack. Without a service manual to describe a trouble shooting, pressure diagnostic type of plan, I would be looking for a place to check the pressure at that clutch pack. It might take a little work, but certainly less than tearing the tractor down for a closer inspection of said clutch pack.

It would help to know what pressure is present in that circuit both when the mid PTO is operating correctly and again when it's not. John Deere parts list shows a line (item 52 in the attached diagram) that appears to be involved in carrying the oil supply to that clutch. You've already been to the solenoids involved, so you probably know where this is on the tractor. I would look at this line to see if it might be possible to add a test port to it so you can monitor the pressure there at various stages of operation. Provided of course, there isn't already a port available somewhere.

/ John Deere 4310 mid pro issue #3  
Appears that there is only one PTO clutch and the mid PTO runs off of a shaft from the rear PTO after the clutch assembly.

The mid mount PTO is actuated with cylinder 1 moving shift fork 11:

If the mid mount PTO is falling out over time I would suspect that actuation cylinder part #YZ81107 is leaking down,
1702854091196.png

or the hydraulic controls or solenoid that activate it parts 2-9 here:

Maybe pay particular attention to making sure that solenoid attached to part #2 is not weak/heat sensitive

/ John Deere 4310 mid pro issue
Thank you folks I am going to dig into the actuator and see where that takes me. I will keep you posted.

I removed the actuator and the shaft came out with it. Is that right or should it be pinned to the shift fork. I never took one out and trying not to drain the hole transmission.

/ John Deere 4310 mid pro issue #6  
I removed the actuator and the shaft came out with it. Is that right or should it be pinned to the shift fork. I never took one out and trying not to drain the hole transmission.
Sure looks like from the diagram that pin 10 is supposed to lock that shift fork to shaft 4. What does the hole in shaft 4 look like? Is there remains of a sheared roll pin?

If the shift fork is sliding on that shaft you may have your smoking gun

Hi folks,
Thanks for the help it was the roll pin that broke and the shift fork was floating causing the intermittent operation of the mid pto. Problem solved thanks again.

Attachments

• IMG_0938.jpeg
    IMG_0938.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0937.jpeg
    IMG_0937.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0935.jpeg
    IMG_0935.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
   / John Deere 4310 mid pro issue #8  
Awesome glad you got it sorted and thanks for following up