John Deere 5205 Clicks and sometimes cranks

/ John Deere 5205 Clicks and sometimes cranks #1  

MS River Rat

Tractor
John Deere 5205 4WD
New here so this may have already been answered somewhere and I just haven't found it but here goes....
I have a John Deerre 5205 sometimes when I go to crank it it works fine and other times it will just click and will not crank, and other times it will click click click and then crank and other times when I turn the key on absolutely nothing happens (no clicking or anything). I have replaced the battery and all the battery connections so I know that isn't the problem. I think it may be the fuseable link, as it is kinda loose (not the nuts themselves, just the whole thing) Is there anyway to check or bypass that fuseable link to isolate if that is the problem or not?

/ John Deere 5205 Clicks and sometimes cranks #2  
Not to compound the problem, I’ve never seen a fuseable link “almost work”..
They’re either blown or not..
That’s been my experience, not saying it’s gospel..

/ John Deere 5205 Clicks and sometimes cranks #4  
Chewwy is probably right. The solinoid contact face will erode over time and only intermittantly start. The problem only gets worse.

/ John Deere 5205 Clicks and sometimes cranks #5  
New here so this may have already been answered somewhere and I just haven't found it but here goes....
I have a John Deerre 5205 sometimes when I go to crank it it works fine and other times it will just click and will not crank, and other times it will click click click and then crank and other times when I turn the key on absolutely nothing happens (no clicking or anything). I have replaced the battery and all the battery connections so I know that isn't the problem. I think it may be the fuseable link, as it is kinda loose (not the nuts themselves, just the whole thing) Is there anyway to check or bypass that fuseable link to isolate if that is the problem or not?
We have one that's been doing that the last thirty years or so. Just had to go pull it out because he was pulling a 14' disc. It click no crank, so he just walked home. But, then it rained. We didn't have to disconnect disc. It drove on out just fine, with the other tractor pulling a little.

/ John Deere 5205 Clicks and sometimes cranks #6  
Rust on button that I usually find on side of starter with a connector bolted to it. Bypass it with a fresh battery and battery jumper cables. Put Negative somewhere w/o paint on splitter metal and put positive to the connector. Generally the negative side doesn't have a solid full wire capability and will get worse like others mentioned.