John Deere 5320 does not try to start.

/ John Deere 5320 does not try to start. #1  

Kmicah40

Tractor
John Deere 5320, ‘56 Ford 601 (been in family since new), 2010 Kubota 900RTV, Cub Cadet 2284, Cub Cadet 2064
I have a 2005 JD 5320 with power reverser and after 3 hours of bush hog work I put tractor in park and shut off engine to unhook the bus hog mower. When I got back on the tractor to move it to the barn it would not start. No sounds at all when trying to start it. Everything electronically seams to be working just fine. Is there a safety switch that might be causing my problem? I’ve had issues in the past where it would not start but I could put tractor in neutral and then it would start. Almost seems like there might be a switch that is not making contact and that won’t let me start the tractor. Any advice on where to look would sure be helpful.
Thanks.
Larry H.

/ John Deere 5320 does not try to start. #2  
Sounds like a safety somewhere - PTO, seat, neutral, - you know the list!

/ John Deere 5320 does not try to start. #3  
Actually, it does indicate something is "not making contact". Just where to look would depend more on what other details are in play other than it "won't start".

When this happens, do any of the headlights work? When you turn the key on do any gauges and warning lights come on? Does ANYTHING electrical seem to work other than the starter?

You may have a safety switch issue, or a simple connection issue somewhere else. Battery, cables and cable connections are just as prone to problems as any switches.

/ John Deere 5320 does not try to start. #4  
Sounds like a safety somewhere - PTO, seat, neutral, - you know the list!
I have a 2008 4520 P reverser.
and had the same problem got off the tractor to open the gate engine quit. after looking for a problem found a loose wire to the sensor to the clutch side. of housing .
then over the years of using figured out every sensivity part of this tractor is hung onto at the bottom of the tractor.
weird electrical problems always when away from the shop . look closely at your electrical schematic. then locate the sensors installed
The error code on the dash usually will tell you the left turn blinker light filament is open. never tells you that the sensor wire is disconnected.
I ended up using tie wrap to each connector connection to keep the connection tight.
The red wire to all electrical points going into a crimp connector below the deck plate and 4 red wires connected should be crimped again.
ken

/ John Deere 5320 does not try to start.
Thanks for all the reply’s and suggestions as where to look. Well this morning I started by checking the safety switch under the tractor. As soon as I crawled under the tractor I saw my problem. Evidently while I was bush hogging I ran over a wood branch about 2” in diameter and somehow the end of the branch wound up lodged between the frame and steel rod where the safety switch is located. The safety switch was hit and uncoupled which was the reason for not being able to start the tractor.

/ John Deere 5320 does not try to start. #6  
Thanks for all the reply’s and suggestions as where to look. Well this morning I started by checking the safety switch under the tractor. As soon as I crawled under the tractor I saw my problem. Evidently while I was bush hogging I ran over a wood branch about 2” in diameter and somehow the end of the branch wound up lodged between the frame and steel rod where the safety switch is located. The safety switch was hit and uncoupled which was the reason for not being able to start the tractor.
Good it was so easily found.
The error codes should plainly be printed on the dash or in some area to be seen getting a code flashing have to go to the shop look up in a book if needs to be fixed or just some engineer that never drove off blacktop or polished cement. the idea of warning. ken