John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load #1  

dbuford

Tractor
John Deere, Kubota
I have a John Deere 5425 with cab. I can run the tractor all day under load without the AC on and no overheating issues at all. I can turn that AC on and I can start watching that temp gauge slowly go up until I have to turn it off. The temp will return to normal. I have made sure that the radiator and AC condenser are cleared every time I go to the field. What am I missing is the fan system inadequate? Is there aftermarket improvements I can do to the cooling system. It doesn't stop me getting finished what I am doing but at that point an open bay would be cooler than me under glass. TIA

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load #2  
Strange. The AC is a minor parasite of engine power compared to a bushhog or baler. But it does have a condenser coil in front of the radiator, that will put out heat in front of the radiator. Your radiator could be internally plugged up if the antifreeze turned bad.

How old is it? How many hours on the meter?

Shine a flashlight at night through all the fins and screens to double check for debris.

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load
Strange. The AC is a minor parasite of engine power compared to a bushhog or baler. But it does have a condenser coil in front of the radiator, that will put out heat in front of the radiator. Your radiator could be internally plugged up if the antifreeze turned bad.

How old is it? How many hours on the meter?

Shine a flashlight at night through all the fins and screens to double check for debris.[/QU

The tractor is not broke in good. It is a 2006 with 900 hours. The whole key is if I leave the AC off during baling or doing mower work it never attempts to overheat. Just under load and of course high temps. Due to the hills we have to bale I have to leave the bucket on, just got to thinking maybe in some way I may be disrupting air flow with the bucket just enough to cause the issue.

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load #4  
Just sold the 5525 I had, great tractor. Used in hay also with cab. No hills here. It is possible the heat from the condenser is making the difference or the compressor load along with the heat, have no idea how to check the compressor is working fine. If you have an infrared thermometer check the radiator for temperature for cold areas showing flow blockage. Check air filters and the air intake for blockage, restricted air intake will cause an engine to run hot. Have you replaced the cab air filters? That can also put extra load on the a/c. My cab had filter on each side under the top.

Edited to add this: I agree with Kyle the coolant can be bad if antifreeze has not been replaced in few years.

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load
Just sold the 5525 I had, great tractor. Used in hay also with cab. No hills here. It is possible the heat from the condenser is making the difference or the compressor load along with the heat, have no idea how to check the compressor is working fine. If you have an infrared thermometer check the radiator for temperature for cold areas showing flow blockage. Check air filters and the air intake for blockage, restricted air intake will cause an engine to run hot. Have you replaced the cab air filters? That can also put extra load on the a/c. My cab had filter on each side under the top.

Edited to add this: I agree with Kyle the coolant can be bad if antifreeze has not been replaced in few years.

Thanks to all, will check those things. I have changed the outside cab filters but have not changed the inside filters. Any suggestions on getting the filter covers off? Looks like it would be easy to pull the headliner down getting the covers off. AC blows cold and just moving hay it will not cause a temp issue only under a real load.

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load #7  
Make sure the radiator and ac condenser are really clean. Sometimes it takes more than blowing out with air.

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load #8  
I am not sure but if the same belt is used for the water pump and the a/c, check to be sure it is in good condition and not glazed. It could be the compressor is adding enough load to cause it to be slipping and pumping less coolant.

As to the cab filters, mine only had filters that were located under the cab top on the outside of the cab. Or those were the only ones I knew of and JD offered to sell.

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load #9  
Is fan belt in good condition? Has fuel inj pump timing ever been checked?

/ John Deere 5425 Overheating Under Load #10  
My bobcat mini X would do the same thing. It had a stack of ACcondensor, then oil cooler, then the engine radiator. 3000 hours of dirt filled the radiator fins. Couple hours with the garden hose reduced to 1/4” copper line bent at the end and generous sprays of Dawn dish soap on all the dirt and grease fixed the issue entirely.