John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #1  

Spartacus1

Tractor
John Deere 820
I have a John Deere 820 that has the two shift levers and I was running it today doing some tiller work in a garden. There was some dust that was created during part of the tilling operation and when I went to unhook the tiller, and park the tractor in my shed, the left gear shift lever (P, R, I, and II) was solid in place and I could not move it free. The right shift lever (1, 2, 3, 4) worked fine, but now I can not get in reverse, park, or the higher gears. Scratching my head as to what may have happened. Any thoughts on where I might start to diagnose the problem?

Thanks guys!!

Deeredriver

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #2  
I had this same problem with my 820 today while I was doing some brush hogging. Although mine was stuck in park. I just pulled really hard on it and it finally broke free. I probably ran it another 2 solid hours with plenty of shifting and it never gave me any more problems. I don't know much about tractors but I hope this could help!

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #3  
I would have someone rock the rear wheels back and forth and see if it will free it up enough to shift. Put the right side lever in 4th gear to do this.

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #4  
It's possible some of the detent balls are hanging.

Attachments

• R2056__________UN12OCT94.gif
    R2056__________UN12OCT94.gif
    15 KB · Views: 305
   / John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question
Thanks for the replies guys, I will try the rocking moves and see if I can free it up. I am concerned about bending something if I apply too much force on the shift lever...;-(

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #6  
On my JD 2030 the range lever is missing the clip that holds it in the housing. Every once in while it gets stuck. If I lift up on it slightly and move it a little it drops where it should be and shifts again. I think when it locks up it is because I lifted up a little when shifting it. I REALLY should replace the clip!

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question
Thanks Z5, I will try that as well! I think I was pretty tired and didn't mess around with it as much as I needed to, to get it unstuck. I am learning as I go along, for sure.

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #8  
Too much force could break the metal tab that is spot welded to shift rail. I have seen them broken before.

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #9  
Too much force could break the metal tab that is spot welded to shift rail. I have seen them broken before.

Agreed! I had to have mine replaced when I got it.

/ John Deere 820 Stuck Shift lever question #10  
If it's just bound up, not a problem with the clip being gone, you might jack up the rear axle and relieve the tension and be able to shift it.