John Deere 855/856 hard starting

/ John Deere 855/856 hard starting #31  
Careful with those valves!
IF....you.get it wrong, it could cause damage.
Contrary to what I have read here, valves typically don't always get "loose" but, instead, get "tight" when they wear. Meaning that the clearance between rocker arm and valve stem end is less...not more.
This is because the valve "head" tends to work it's way down into the valve "seat" in the head.
While I certainly agree with having them adjusted, just make DANG sure they're done correctly. Sometimes that actually means that you do it yourself since there are so many HACKS out there calling themselves mechanics.

I also agree with the one guy talking about doing a compression test. But that's usually not in the realm of most DIYER's.
At any rate, you would do a compression test AFTER adjusting the valves.

Black smoke during cranking, or anytime, means INCOMPLETE COMBUSTION.

That's "usually" due to either too much fuel OR not enough air. But could be a combination of both so using that alone for diagnosis can fool a fella.

I see the sudden onset of your hard starting with excellent starting after warm up to likely be a problem with your pre-heater simply not warming the incoming air sufficiently. That, along with dirty air filter, misadjusted valves, poor fuel quality, slow cranking and or insufficient COLD compression could "team up" on ya to create this problem.

Someone mentioned checking current flow to glow plugs (I know, you don't have those). Not a bad idea for your pre heater grid as well.

For slow cranking Someone mentioned "overlaying" a jumper cable to quick test a battery connection.

Great idea but also Google Voltage Drop Testing and read up on that. A simple, fairly easy to understand, way to MAGICALLY "see" what's happening in ANY wire, cable or connection using an inexpensive DVOM.

One simple thing I would suggest would be to pull the air filter and use a hair dryer or heat gun into the intake to warm the intake air that way. If it starts much easier doing that when cold then you have a direction to travel. If it doesn't make a difference, get after those valves OR make arrangements for a QUALIFIED SHOP or mechanic to diagnose this for you.

Best of luck.

/ John Deere 855/856 hard starting #32  
Contrary to what I have read here, valves typically don't always get "loose" but, instead, get "tight" when they wear. Meaning that the clearance between rocker arm and valve stem end is less...not more.
This is because the valve "head" tends to work it's way down into the valve "seat" in the head.
This tightening typically occurs in engines that do not have hardened valve seats. Engines that do have hardened valve seats usually get looser because the rest of the valve train wears faster than the hardened valve seats. Every Yanmar engine I've worked on back to 90s vintage has had hardened valve seats installed and has gotten looser with wear.

However, good pointing out that engines can go either way depending on make and age

/ John Deere 855/856 hard starting #33  
Yes, agree, but I don't know this engine AND it IS an "older" model tractor.

Although, I probably SHOULD have stressed, instead, that TIGHT valves can be MUCH MORE DESTRUCTIVE than "loose" valves.

At any rate, they should be adjusted with care.