/ John Deere 855 Front Wheel Bolts Loosening #1  

DudeJohnDeere

Tractor
1940 Allis Chalmers B, 1992 John Deere 445, 1998 John Deere 855, 2001 John Deere SST18, 2007 John Deere Gator TX and many others at the farm yard
Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing the lug nuts in the front wheels of my John Deere 855 to loosen up?
I did the 500 hour service about 4 years ago, about 1 year before the problem started. When I changed the transaxle oil I was not aware of the breather plug on top of each final drive, something I was just made aware of a few weeks ago. I spend a lot of time working on row crop tractors at my day job, but I am fairly unfamiliar with the compacts. My theory is that since the breather was not opened, no oil got down into the final drive, causing the bearings to wear. With the wheels off, I can push/pull the flange that they mount to about an 1/8 inch in either direction. the parts to rebuild the final drives total almost $2700 and I need new rims which total $400, so I want to be sure I am making the right repair. Thanks for the help.

/ John Deere 855 Front Wheel Bolts Loosening #2  
I would not be concerned with the in and out movement. I would be more concerned with up and down or side to side play. I also do not believe the breather being clogged would prevent oiling. The more likely issue with clogged breather would be pressure causing a seal failure.

Any other symptoms that make you think the final drive needs rebuilt?