John Deere flail mower HELP!!$

/ John Deere flail mower HELP!!$ #1  

ohiopoboy

Tractor
Massey Ferguson 1742M 2015
Hello everyone, especially the John Deere flail mower gang. I just read a 2017 thread that was a hoot and very helpful about used John Deere flail mowers. I want to say there was a group called flail mower nation?? If so I'm in, sign me up. I bought I believe a used 25A or a 300 series flail mower. I'm going to have to do the pencil trick on the tag because it's almost indistinguishable. I gave it a quick look over greased what I could freed up the PTO shaft, God only knows how long the mower's been sitting, hooked it up into the little test mowing. Boom 💥 it's exactly what the doctor ordered. I didn't take the cover off and check the belt tension, just gave it the finger test. I was mowing just fine and smiling like a Cheshire cat. Then it quit mowing.
looked down and the PTO chef was turning, so that told me that I threw at the belt. No problem I went back to the barn took the cover off and properly adjust everything and grease the two bearings that you can't get to without taking a cover off. Back out to the field I want I made one pass and the belt was off again, huh..... I grew up on a farm running balers combines tractors you name it and I'm a retired Union heavy equipment operator, so I know a little bit about maintenance and adjusting.
Long story short, here's the problem, the output shaft or main drive pulley shaft, is pulling out of the gearbox. What holds that shaft into the gearbox? I pulled the rear inspection cover and bearing guide, but I'm not sure how to get the big gear out of the gearbox. I would appreciate your input and help.
Thanks OP

/ John Deere flail mower HELP!!$ #2  
Hello everyone, especially the John Deere flail mower gang. I just read a 2017 thread that was a hoot and very helpful about used John Deere flail mowers. I want to say there was a group called flail mower nation?? If so I'm in, sign me up. I bought I believe a used 25A or a 300 series flail mower. I'm going to have to do the pencil trick on the tag because it's almost indistinguishable. I gave it a quick look over greased what I could freed up the PTO shaft, God only knows how long the mower's been sitting, hooked it up into the little test mowing. Boom 💥 it's exactly what the doctor ordered. I didn't take the cover off and check the belt tension, just gave it the finger test. I was mowing just fine and smiling like a Cheshire cat. Then it quit mowing.
looked down and the PTO chef was turning, so that told me that I threw at the belt. No problem I went back to the barn took the cover off and properly adjust everything and grease the two bearings that you can't get to without taking a cover off. Back out to the field I want I made one pass and the belt was off again, huh..... I grew up on a farm running balers combines tractors you name it and I'm a retired Union heavy equipment operator, so I know a little bit about maintenance and adjusting.
Long story short, here's the problem, the output shaft or main drive pulley shaft, is pulling out of the gearbox. What holds that shaft into the gearbox? I pulled the rear inspection cover and bearing guide, but I'm not sure how to get the big gear out of the gearbox. I would appreciate your input and help.
Thanks OP
I don't know that one exactly, but I've tackled several gear boxes. Sounds like you have worn bearings or, you need some shims to tighten up the gear lash.

/ John Deere flail mower HELP!!$ #3  
Thanks OP
Welcome to TBN, OP!

The side shaft is coming out of the tube, not the gearbox and it looks like a locking collar on bearing #2 holds the shaft from walking. Remove the belt drive shield and take the bearing flangette apart to access.

Attachments

• EE7AAB9C-B3FF-4340-9462-3A6D4D65C26B.png
    EE7AAB9C-B3FF-4340-9462-3A6D4D65C26B.png
    605.4 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
   / John Deere flail mower HELP!!$
It's Saturday morning and I'm going to go out in the barn and try to tackle the flail mower problems. I got new bearings for the main roller, on the cheap by the way I will post the vendor later today. Half the price of just the John Deere bearing without the housing. I got the complete bearing including the flange. I do know it's made by Peer.
How do I verify that the shaft to gearbox couplers pin is okay? Unbolt the gearbox and move it away from the drive? I ordered a new drive pin for the coupler on the JD parts lookup it says contact dealer for the actual coupler. One more cup of coffee and I'm going to get my gloves on!

/ John Deere flail mower HELP!!$ #5  
To answer your coupler question, I believe you can unbolt the tube from the frame and expose the shaft/coupler once you have taken the pulley off.