John Deere LT 180 won't start

/ John Deere LT 180 won't start #1  

jb59

Tractor
LT 180
My LT 180 won't start but power is obviously being supplied by the battery as the lights work and the mileage light comes on when I turn the key. It just won't turn over. Is this normally an indication the starter is shot or could it be a starter Solenoid?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

Joe

/ John Deere LT 180 won't start #2  
My LT 180 won't start but power is obviously being supplied by the battery as the lights work and the mileage light comes on when I turn the key. It just won't turn over. Is this normally an indication the starter is shot or could it be a starter Solenoid?

Thanks ahead for any suggestions.

Joe

Is the parking brake set?
Won't turn over if brake is not set

/ John Deere LT 180 won't start
After posting the above question, I reread the manual and noticed that (that the tractor won't start with the brake set) so I went out and double-checked just in case but I verified that the brakes were not set.

/ John Deere LT 180 won't start #4  
Go back and read the manual again......the parking brake MUST be set in order to start the engine. I have the same unit......brake must be set. Also...will not start if mower blade lever is engaged. Set the brake....it should start! Good luck!!

It's definitely not the parking brake. I've set it and released it a half dozen times just to be sure.

I bought this John Deere from my brother-in-law 2 years ago and he used to have it serviced by a licensed dealer every year, so I may go that route and get someone experienced to look at it. Don't want to replace the starter when I'm not sure that's the problem but I just can't figure it out. Never was much of a mechanic.

I found it. I feel like such a bonehead.

A wire became disconnected from just plain using it too long between servicing. I think it was a wire connected to the solenoid but I'm not 100% sure.

Thank you JerryBob and GRM for your replies.

Have a good one.

/ John Deere LT 180 won't start #7  
Glad it's fixed.....now get out there and mow! Be safe!:thumbsup: