John Deere LX188

/ John Deere LX188 #1  

ChrisR

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota L35
Hi All

There's a John Deere LX188 Ride-on at my local auction house, and it looks in pretty good condition, I'm a kubota man so I know nothing about these models. Can anyone tell anything about them ?

Regards

Chris

/ John Deere LX188 #2  
Chris, I have a JD LX188 that I have had for about 5 years. Bought it new. It is a great machine. In case you don't know much about them, they are water cooled, which makes them much quieter than air cooled mowers. Mine is hydrostatic drive (I assume all are).

If my old memory is correct, I paid about $3500 new, which included a grass bagging system and a 48" mower deck. So far, I have no complaints with the LX188 at all.

The only problem I have had with it was an 'O' ring somewhere in the hydrostatic works gave out. I could not debug it, so took it to the dealer who discovered the problem and repaired it. It cost about $75 to repair. About $74 of this was labor.

I would buy another one with no reservations, except, JD replaced the LX188 with another machine which I think is a LX279. Could be wrong on the new model number.

If you need any more information, don't hesitate to send me an e-mail.

Good Luck.

Bob Kelly

/ John Deere LX188 #3  
Yep I've got the LX279 Bob and I agree it's a great machine.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ John Deere LX188 #4  
I hope your memory failed you. :) My LX172 cost that much. Air cooled 14hp single cyl, 38" cut, no bagger, just mower.
Good unit, gave 10 years good service. Is now assuming retirement as the ZD21 does the work. Since It looks pretty rough, I will probably save the engine, and part out the rest. The engine is worth more than the mower as a whole.

-Ben

Attachments

• 16-75407-ZD11.jpg
    16-75407-ZD11.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 5,475
   / John Deere LX188
Thanks for the info everyone

I had a better look at it today, and although it looks a bit tatty, it actually comes with another one for spares, so I'll have a bid for it tomorrow.

Thanks again

Chris

/ John Deere LX188 #6  
Boner,
I think he's right on the price. I bought mine last year, LX 279, and with a bagger it was $4500. That one is 17 hp, liquid cooled, hydro, 48" cut.

18-35034-TRACTO~1.GIF

/ John Deere LX188 #7  
Typical JD. Been there, done that. My flag flies orange now.
(the one under the Red, White, & Blue one, Of course.)

:)

/ John Deere LX188 #9  
Ben, your wish came true. My memory did fail me. Actual price was $4000 plus tax. Purchased 5/13/1994 from a John Deere dealer in Fuquay - Varina, NC.

/ John Deere LX188 #10  
I'll buy that.
(not literally)