Traction John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #1  

kmassing

Bronze Member
A modern John Deere tractor with 850 horsepower plays tug of war with an 1800s era steam tractor that has about 18 horsepower. While both are capable of getting an honest day's work done, there is only one that proves its dominance through sheer power.

John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor. [VIDEO]

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #3  
Funny every time I see it or one like it. A great demonstration of power to weight ratio. Turned the JD into a pretty good rototiller while he kept the wheels spinning.

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #4  
I wonder why the front tires weren't spinning on the JD. Looks like it's a 4wd model.

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #5  
I wonder why the front tires weren't spinning on the JD. Looks like it's a 4wd model.

It was a hopped up pulling tractor. There's no stock model that size at 850 hp. Those pulling tractors depend on speed and momentum instead of heavy pulling from the start. I'm betting that none of them use front wheel drive. Wouldn't have mattered though. The weight difference would have overcome the additional wheels pulling easily. The steamer never slipped an inch and the tractor dug down 6-8 inches in a heartbeat.

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #6  
I would like to see the steamer hooked up to a Big Bud - with the Bud in 4 x 4...

Now that would be an interesting comparison

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #7  
The drawbar angle is not helping the Deere and favoring the steamer, too.

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #8  
Steam tractor likely only outweighed it by 20 tons. Putting the JD in 4 WD might have helped dig a deeper trench but still wouldn't have overcome the gearing and weight of the steam powered tractor.

/ John Deere Tractor vs. 1800s Steam Tractor #9  
Steam tractor likely only outweighed it by 20 tons. Putting the JD in 4 WD might have helped dig a deeper trench but still wouldn't have overcome the gearing and weight of the steam powered tractor.
Exactly. That's why weight is an important factor anytime that I'm shopping for a new tractor.
All of the horsepower in the world doesn't matter if you can get it to the ground.