John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change

/ John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change #1  

Ledgemere Farm

Veteran Member
Tractor
A bunch
Definitely an improvement over the XUV550, but still a bit of a pain…

John Deere XUV590 #Gator Oil Change

/ John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change #2  
Still looks like a pain in the ass. But they gotta tuck that stuff up in there above the skid plate so it won’t get damaged. Getting to the plugs just looks like bad engineering design.

/ John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change #4  
I did the first 8 hour service on my hpx835.
Never again....What a pain that was.
My dealer will do it all from now on, I don't care how much he charges.

/ John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change #5  
having the correct cup to remove the filter is the key.Plier style and strap wrenches will not work cause there is no room.Aside from that it's not so bad.

/ John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change
having the correct cup to remove the filter is the key.Plier style and strap wrenches will not work cause there is no room.Aside from that it's not so bad.
It’s much easier than the 550 it replaced for sure

/ John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change #7  
I have a xuv 550 and never thought it too bad to change the oil. Its tight but everything is now days. Even changing the plugs isn't too bad if you use the right tools.

My biggest issue was the transmission shifting correctly. Well after having a JD dealership repair it only for it to start having issues about 2 years later I decided to tackle the project the myself.

Ended up removing the transmission and opening it up and immediately found the issue. The shift fork inside the trans sits against a machined collar on the shaft but on the other side it is merely held in by a small clip that only has small groove in the shaft to hold it in place. If you end up doing forceful shifting this clip pops out and then it wants to pop out of gear or not shift out of reverse.

The fix was easy enough. I took my die grinder and cut the groove deeper and slightly wider and went to the hardware store and put 2 E-clips in its place. Total cost for the repair was 75 cents but removal and reinstallation of the transmission was about 7 hours. There is a lot of parts to remove to get it out including removing the clutches.

/ John Deere XUV 590 Oil Change #8  
I just changed the oil on our farms XUV590M and found it quite difficult to take the filter off through the skid plate hole. It is pretty tight in there and the filter appeared to be surrounded by bolts, making it an especially tight fit with my large hands. I looked around the skid plate to see if there was an alternative route to access it and found a slight gap near the front end of the skid plate where you can reach your whole arm through. Still had to use a filter wrench, but it made it a lot easier. Hope this helps for anyone attempting this and getting as frustrated as I did! Also, reading the oil level on the dipstick after oil changing was sorta difficult due to the oil having to circulate through the transfer case. I threw in roughly 1 3/4 qts of oil in, started it for a few seconds and shifted between gears then shut it off. Waited about a minute or so and then checked the level. It was right between the low and full line so I added between 1/4-1/2 qt extra and that seemed to be just right. Definitely depends on how much you take out, but just some extra advice if its getting tricky for you.

Cheers, happy wrenching