Joined the club

/ Joined the club #1  

iam2sam

Tractor
looking
Hey! After searching off and on for several years, I finally bought a T5C. I paid $7,800, somewhat more than my target price, but the asking prices have been inching up around here (NJ), and I had lost out on several Terramites over the past six months by waiting on a lower price. I will come back and post pics when I get down to my storage yard later on to take some. I will also need to get the s/n and check the year, my guess is 1997-2002-ish. The chassis has 2200 hours, the PO replaced the Kohler recently with a new 23 HP Honda engine that currently has ~200 hours, so I'm hopeful the engine will outlast me. He said he consulted with Terramite and followed their recommendations on the swap (including buying an adapter and taking power from the flywheel side) but that he elected not to remove the shaft on the drive side as they recommended (in case he ever wanted to use the engine in a different application). Guess I'll need to see what disadvantages (if any) that has, but it doesn't sound too bad on the surface. PO told me he reused the motor from the original Kohler, which is pretty loud, and suggested that I might want to change it (I dunno, hearing protectors are cheaper :) Front tires are brand new, rears are adequate. New cylinder on the hoe, all other cylinders appear to be in good condition, except for the RH outrigger cylinder which has a tiny seep at rest (does not get worse in use). PO also welded a receiver to the top of the loader bucket and made a set of lift arm/forks that attach to it, which was included with the machine. Everything I saw indicated that the PO was right on top of maintenance issues, which (along with the Honda engine) helped me make the purchase decision. He kept it in a shed. History of the machine according to my PO is that the original owner was an excavation contractor who used it as his "small spaces" machine, my PO is a residential landscaper who used it for his "big jobs", such as they were. Never was a rental, as far as I can determine. Unfortunately, after I take this down to my land in VA, it will be stored more-or-less in the open. I intend to rig some kind of canopy using a tarp and flexible poles that will attach to the tractor itself and keep the rain off the seat and most of the working parts. If anyone here has done something similar, I'd sure like to see the results.

EDIT: I assume the "540540" stamped under "T5C" on the plate located on the left ROPS post is my S/N? I need to call Terraquip for the year based on the S/N.

DSCF0598 - SM.jpgDSCF0595 - SM.jpgDSCF0599 - SM.jpgDSCF0596 - SM.jpgDSCF0600 - SM.jpgDSCF0597 - SM.jpgDSCF0594 - SM.jpg]

Last edited:
   / Joined the club #2  
:welcome: to TBN!
My T5C has been parked outdoors for the 10 yrs I've owned it. OEM Honda power has been reliable, best deal on group 26 battery at Sears (~$50), and only real problem in that decade being rain & snow melt entering the steering column to bad effect, but that's because the steering wheel's center cap was missing from day of purchase. (pix somewhere of my band-aid remedy for that, also stumps I dug up with it when 'new to me')

btw, my machine came out of a rental fleet, has seen some abuse before and after my time of ownership, ... and ran flawlessly yesterday. :)

Parts may be tough to find and/or seem a bit pricey, but stuff doesn't seem to break much and my own experience with the folks at Terraquip has been very positive. :thumbsup: (some rod ends etc can be sourced from auto parts suppliers ..)

All that said, IMO you did well for the $$ considering the new(er) engine etc. Congrats from a fellow T5C owner/operator! tog

/ Joined the club #3  
You'll be well served by that Honda engine...

Would either of you guys be willing to help me out on cylinder sizes? I'm rebuilding a Terramite that was under a collapsed barn, the metal is all fine BUT the hydraulic cylinders were removed, but pins left behind, so I guess someone had a plan...any way I can't spring for the replacement cylinders at Terraquip rates, I was going to shop Surplus Center and Ebay. But I need the measurements of Retracted length, Rod, Cylinder Bore, stroke and end mounting widths etc as a starting point. I can measure what fits, but I'd really like to know what was original to these machines. Thanks for any help you can provide....I posted separately a while ago, but no takers.

Stabilizer/Outrigger
Loader/Lift
Loader/Bucket Tilt
Boom
Arm
Bucket

/ Joined the club
"Would either of you guys be willing to help me out on cylinder sizes?"

I'll do what I can. It may be a little bit at a time, as I get time to go down to my storage yard and exercise the machine.

/ Joined the club
"All that said, IMO you did well for the $$ considering the new(er) engine etc. Congrats from a fellow T5C owner/operator! tog "

Thanks. According to Terraquip, it is a 1984, a little older than I thought (PO did say it was "an older machine", without being specific). So maybe I overpaid a little bit. However, from everything I have read, T5C changes have been fairly minimal and mostly details and refinements that I don't see affecting me much. My main concern was hours on the chassis and engine, and previous attention to maintenance, so I'm still satisfied. BTW, my steering wheel center cap is missing as well. What was your improvised fix?

Re: stumps - About two years ago, I rented a Kohler-powered T7 to level a cabin site and dig out some stumps and rocks in the process, including a large black locust stump that was very intertwined with rocks and boulders. That experience was the main reason I was looking for a Terramite. Steep grades on the property also make hydrostatic drive a safety feature.

/ Joined the club #6  
Here is part of what happens when water gets into the s/column and freezes.
IMG_1020.JPG
I get 3-4 yrs out of a 'jug' before UV causes it to crack & crumble. It stays on, and the machine is parked on the sunny side of my garage.
IMG_1021.JPG

As for 'digging' stumps I should explain those big ones, as it wasn't just a 'dig'. Due to limited boom swing I was only able to dig a triangle of trenches around each tree, then jump in with a recip saw to cut roots. Took several days to get 'em both out of the holes to load/haul, and my CUT was on-site to assist. (a worst-case job indeed)
IMG_1005.JPG
Since then, the fine folks at MIE made up this digging tooth for the T-M's boom. It's a bear to change out by myself, but has been a boon to ripping roots from the more reasonably-sized stumps I've taken out since. (stump now grinder on my list to buy, btw)
IMG_1218.JPG

agj, I'll also try to get sizes etc for cylinders. T-Ms, if nothing else are easy to service and there's not many things to go wrong, so other than ragged-out pin holes or the usual attention to the hydraulic bits etc one could say "if it runs at all, it's good".

iam2sam, you may have noticed the T5 and T7 are somewhat different in size and capacity, but most of all in swing travel. T5 barely includes 100^ laterally, while T7 and T9 will swing a more useful 180^ like most any other BHs. T5 is a great trencher, but because of its limited travel doesn't do big holes well, as overburden can't be dumped very far out of the way.

/ Joined the club
I was aware that the T5C swing was less than 180, but the numbers I had read were on the order of 150 - 160 degrees (75-ish each side). 100 deg seems really tight. However, most of the current backhoe workload on my land is in maintaining the drainage ditches for my access road, and digging a couple of new ditches to control storm runoff near outbuildings. I may eventually want to dig a small pond for crawfish, but I'll figure that out when the time comes. I expect the lack of time pressure to be a boon to excavation work that can overcome a lot of potential obstacles...

Last edited:
   / Joined the club #8  
A (small) problem with the limited swing is that angling the machine to gain dump clearance puts one pad very close to an edge, which is exacerbated IMO by the boom/pivot being tucked in so close to pads/pivots vs hung farther behind them.

This is not to discourage the tasks proposed. :) Maneuverability, reach, and digging power are very good compared to say a BH mounted on a 20-25hp CUT or SCUT. Ditching and trenching in even the worst of circumstances is where a T5C really shines. That it's so easy to load/haul/feed/maintain is frosting on the cake. btw, For field/septic work it's more than enough.