Buying Advice Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog

/ Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog #11  
considering 5hp per foot is a general rule, 10' mower on 51 pto hp should be doable, and 8' very doable.

Ford N run 5' mowers as a staple... around here we have road frews with ford/nh 5610 running 10' mowers.. etc.

soundguy

/ Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog
OK, back from the Deere folks.

They had somewhat better pricing on their 96" and 84" mowers which were rather heavy duty. I looked at a Land Pride 8' batwing finishing mower for tyre kicking.

We went through many different things including inclines on my property, tractor weight, HP, PTO HP, MFWD, etc. I have 60HP, 55HP at PTO according to my data sheet but 51HP would be a better planning point possibly.

They talked me away from the finishing mower due to the cutting height. We have about 17 acres in level hay meadow that requires cutting once or twice when not in harvest. We have about 18 acres that is rolling with about 10 acres on a good slope. Their suggestion was a 72" 3pt mower however since I already had a very nice 60" mower they suggested I just forget about replacing with a slightly larger one at a higher cost.

They did suggest a 96" pull type cutter for the meadow but also suggested it would not be financially beneficial as I already have a good 60" cutter.

It is strange to spend some time with the sales folks and have them say they would rather not sell you anything! (of course, they did add me to a want list of people in case they receive some used equipment for cheap, future customer base!)

This has been a good exercise! I'll need to keep working on this as I go through equipment thoughts and desires.

Thanks to all and I hope this serves as a reference data point to someone else.

/ Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog #13  
Well I don't know your land or what you are mowing but with over 50 pto hp I would order an 8 ft duel spindle rotary mower and never look back. It sounds like both dealers tried to talk you down in size which I just don't understand. Is the terrain in your area real steep?

MarkV

/ Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog #14  
Is woods or landpride all you are looking for ? Modern Ag. has great mowers for good prices, also fronteer makes a great mower too.... fronteer 2084 or Modern Ag super highway, hard to beat and 100% American made..... the Modern Ag Hot dipped galvanized model Is what I purchased this yr. Very happy with the Quality of their products.
happy hunting
david

/ Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog #15  
If you are looking to clip a pasture once or twice, and there is nothing big in it, get a 7' sickle mower. If you are already cutting it for hay with a disc mower, use that. If it is getting tall though you really do need something to shred it.

For lower grass you could pull a 10' but if you get into anything thick and tall it would be too much.

I don't really agree with your dealer about just using the 5' mower. That's where I started and while it might have been expensive my time is actually worth something so having the 10' has been great. I would get the 8' mower...

/ Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog #16  
I have a Kodiak 8' dual spindle rotary cutter that I run with a 56 PTO HP tractor easily. With 51 PTO HP you would have no problem with it. I was previously using a 5' cutter and the time savings is definitely worth the cost. You can get this cutter for around 3000 sometimes less if you shop around. It seems heavy duty to me and would certainly last a long time just cutting a hay meadow a couple times a year. I've cut 2-3" inch stuff with no problem. Very happy with the cutter and size.

/ Just got some pricing on a 84" Woods Bush Hog #17  
yep.. kodiak and howse seemed to have the best pricing in my area.

i'd go 8' dual spindle over 7' single spindle any day.

soundguy