Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....."

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #61  
The father should have taught the son better! No matter the relationship, there is such a thing as manners and respect. The parents should have insisted on it.

Here, in Quebec, the latest trend has been to call parents by first names as well as teachers.
I guess the attempt is to 'get close' but I think it has a reverse effect and destroys the authority image.
My SIL was a receptionist for a lawyer and insisted on calling the lawyer by his first name, well it cost her her job!
She still does not get the message as she says that he gets dressed just as she does and eats and sleeps like her and therefor is no different than she.
But then I should add that the french Quebecer in the past was overly formal in that parents would always be addressed as VOUS rather than TU with the vous being most respective.
Another french trend was to never go to a first name basis until being told to do otherwise. Going first name on initial contact was a sure way of getting rejected ASAP. The Brits are somewhat similar in that way.
Present Robert to an American and he'll become Bob instantly while the Brit will sharply correct you. The Quebecer will promptly remind you that he is Mr. or Docteur.

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #62  
Some 'geezers' have had more than one wife. An adult (working) child may have called a step-Mom (his 'mother' by title, or since childhood) by name since before the wedding, and that wasn't made clear. (Or maybe that's why the son had to move out and get a job. :D)

As much as tradition may insist on respect by seniority (age) over all else, young folks are rewriting social rules in a World they'll eventually take over. What used to be a genuine smile and and a hug or a handshake might now be just a text message with the appropriate emoticon. It's something we 'geezers' know all too well ...

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #63  
As much as tradition may insist on respect by seniority (age) over all else, young folks are rewriting social rules in a World they'll eventually take over. What used to be a genuine smile and and a hug or a handshake might now be just a text message with the appropriate emoticon. It's something we 'geezers' know all too well ...
And perhaps that is why some young people seem god awful clumsy at a cash register if they have to hand you change. It's like they are afraid of skin to skin contact with an older person.

/ Just joined the ranks of "official geezers....." #64  

You are correct, although actually it started long before the current or even the past few generations, I think manners stopped being genuine back in the late 40's early 50's, I call it the (Eddy Haskel syndrome ) back then some use to paint a picture of them selfs as being respectable,kind and courteous, But even so, false respect is better than what we have these days in our youth generation,

I just don't get it about all the rebellions many have against courtesy, It's seems important to them to show disrespect toward others rather than to show respect, My own son fell into this trend when in mid-grade school in the 90's, It just so happen about the same time the music culture was changing, Our kids was listening to lyrics rather than music, if you know what I mean:cool:, Note: and still do!

IMHO I think the music/wap industry has play a large roll in helping push the past & new generation into being disrespectful, don't get me wrong we still have many of our youth who TRY to be "respectful" but it's difficult for them when they are being bullied by the None,
You know the old saying, "if you can't beat-up join-um"
Peer-Pressure is something very hard to battle,