King Kutter II tiller...the chain

/ King Kutter II tiller...the chain #1  

jcummins

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, F3680, Mule Pro Fxt
What's the purpose of the small chain that attaches near the top of the tiller and the lower back of the back panel?

5 minutes in first use, the clevis came unscrewed, and it came off. I just took it off, then thought....what does it do anyway?

/ King Kutter II tiller...the chain #2  
What's the purpose of the small chain that attaches near the top of the tiller and the lower back of the back panel?

5 minutes in first use, the clevis came unscrewed, and it came off. I just took it off, then thought....what does it do anyway?

It's purpose is to hold that back panel open when going in reverse, found this out the hard way.

/ King Kutter II tiller...the chain #3  
I'm guessing it holds up the rear panel. Lift and hook the chain on the clevis to hold it up.

/ King Kutter II tiller...the chain
Well I used for over an hour, without the chain. Maybe I got lucky. I'll get it reattached.

/ King Kutter II tiller...the chain #5  
The gate is used to help keep dirt under the tiller so it is worked more and the dirt will be finer, in some soils and conditions you may not want it this fine, the chain positions allow for more dirt to escape after being less working by the tines. If set too far off the ground you will find the dirt being thrown out the back
(Including rocks). If you notice the gate has a fair amount of weight, this is to allow the gate to smooth the finished soil after the tiller has passed.

/ King Kutter II tiller...the chain #6  
joecdeere explained it well. I keep mine at the full length, and crimped a heavy 'S' hook to one of the top links. With the one end of the hook open, it allows me to lift up on the gate and hook a mid or lower link into that 'S' hook, holding the gate partially open. It gives me a quick adjustment but still keeps both ends of the chain permanently attached.

/ King Kutter II tiller...the chain #7  
I leave my chain with enough tension on the gate so it won't flip inside the rotating tine area. And, when something gets jammed or wrapped around the tines, i use it to hold the gate up for room to clear the obstruction.