Kioti CK2510HST - Won't start - CEL 34

/ Kioti CK2510HST - Won't start - CEL 34 #1  

Connery

Tractor
Kioti CK2510HST
I have a CK2510HST with a little over 100 hours on it. For the past couple of years I've had intermittent issues with it starting and getting a code 34 with the check engine light. In the past, I was able to use a pipe wrench on the front output shaft and rotate the engine a little and it would start again. Recently however I went to mow and rake my field and it started normally that morning, but when I shut it down to take a break it wouldn't start and was flashing code 34 again. I did what I've done in the past but that didn't help.

So I searched the Internet and found a message thread on these forums that was the same problem I was experiencing.

The suggestions was that the battery was the problem. I checked mine and it was indeed low (original 5 year old battery) so I replaced it. I was able to get it to start after that. However, the next morning I went out to do some additional work with the tractor and it wouldn't start again (CEL 34 again) and I haven't been able to get it to start since.

Since the workshop manual indicates that code 34 could be a damaged MPU, I ordered a replacement. I disconnected the battery and let it sit while I waited for the part to arrive. Once it arrived, I installed it, reconnected the wiring and the battery and STILL get nothing. Just the flashing of the CEL with code 34 and nothing when I turn the key to the start position. I have checked the battery and it is reading 13.6v.

I am at a loss as to what else to try at this point. Any help from the group would be appreciated.

Thanks
Connery

/ Kioti CK2510HST - Won't start - CEL 34 #2  
I HAVE A 4110, AND SOMETIMES IT DOSN'T WANT TO START. EVERYTHING SEEMS OK BUT WHEN I TURN THE KEY TO START NOTHING. I DID SOME RESEARCH, AND FOUND A COMMON THREAD THAT INDICATES IT'S PROBABLY IN THE KEY SWITCH. I BOUGHT USED AND THE GUY I BOUGHT FROM SAID HE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM AND HAD CHANGED THEM SWITCH. I'V FOUND IF I SPRAY SOME WD-40 OR OTHER LUBE IN THE SWITCH THROUGH WHERE THE KEY GOES IN, IT WILL EVENTUALLY START. I DON'T KNOW IF OUR PROBLEMS ARE CONNECTED OR NOT, BUT THAT SEEM TO WORK FOR ME SO FAR---GOOD LUCK.

/ Kioti CK2510HST - Won't start - CEL 34 #3  
Kioti does have a known issue with ignition switches. Apparently they are not sealed the very best, and over time the ignition switches pickup dirt and debris which does not allow good contacts. WD-40 sprayed inside the switch and worked back and forth with the key will clean most kioti ignition switches, and good for another year. Eventually though you will need replacement, and these are always available because its a known issue. Might be good just to buy one and store for the day you will need it.

But thats not the cause of a CEL code 34. Majority of CEL lights coming on are related to fuel issues or emissions issues. Kioti hides the meaning of their codes very well, and this of course so a dealer service must be used for that repair. So don't depend on that code being accurate. In fact clear the code if you can.. You can quickly eliminate emissions issues with your tractor, if it has no DOC and DPF on the engine.

Focus on fuel issues. Maybe you got water in the tractor and fuel sensors before the injectors are detecting it. As to your battery, 13.6V is more than enough for starting.....but substitute another working battery from your own automobile, just to eliminate the tractor battery as a problem.

/ Kioti CK2510HST - Won't start - CEL 34 #4  
The only thing I would add is check all connection as well. Pay particular attention to grounds. Codes often are connection issues rather than actual component failures.

/ Kioti CK2510HST - Won't start - CEL 34
I was actually starting to think it may be an ignition switch issue. I'll give the the WD-40 a shot and then order a replacement.

/ Kioti CK2510HST - Won't start - CEL 34 #6  
I was actually starting to think it may be an ignition switch issue. I'll give the the WD-40 a shot and then order a replacement.

Depending on the Serial Number of the tractor, it may have a Seat Safety Switch. Jump the Seat Switch on the tractor side of the harness and give it a try.

Hope this helps,