Kobelco SK025 travel motor jammed (1996 ish?)

/ Kobelco SK025 travel motor jammed (1996 ish?) #1  

Kiwipom

Tractor
MF135
Hello, the left travel motor turns maybe 30 degrees back and forth but thats it. It was parked working but now a few weeks later, its not. The track has been removed In case it was that. I’m guess the motors toast and the digger heading for the scrapyard but I want to be sure, before that happens.

I’ve owned this digger for 20 years, it had 8000hrs on it on purchase so is pretty worn everywhere, but can still do work if this is fixable. Is there a brake on these motors that could be jammed on, and can it be disabled for example? Can anyone identify the actual motor? It has 4 hydraulic lines going into it, 2 large 2 small. It has 2 travel speeds Rabbit and slow. Parts will be an issue if I need them as I live in NZ.

Thanks in advance 😆 IMG_2595_Original.jpegIMG_2600_Original.jpegIMG_2599_Original.jpegIMG_2596_Original.jpegIMG_2597_Original.jpegIMG_2598_Original.jpeg

/ Kobelco SK025 travel motor jammed (1996 ish?) #2  
There is no brake. Several sources in the US, but not much help for you. Korea or Japanese market would be closer,

/ Kobelco SK025 travel motor jammed (1996 ish?)
There is no brake. Several sources in the US, but not much help for you. Korea or Japanese market would be closer,

Thanks, I guess it must lock when no pressure is present for reverse/forward then, I sort of guessed that might be the case but was hoping there might be a way to unlock them for dragging them around etc.

I guess the two screws on the outer side are oil fill and drain for gears? There’s probably no oil as I was unaware these motors needed oil. The drain is at the top so I cant drain the oil to see if there are metal shards etc

After much googling I think I have identified the travel motor (final drive) that is fitted. KYB (Kayaba) Model MAG-18V. I am still a bit unsure about what the two smaller hoses are for, at least one is for activating the high/low speed, and maybe both? They are pilot and drain ports (I think). I am going to remove the whole drive unit and try see whats failed, pump or gears, before looking at sourcing a replacement (complete new motors are generally cost prohibitive albeit there are risky looking chinese supplier options below 1000usd).

The bolts holding the motor onto the chassis have 10mm allen heads and are not too rusty but are well seized, so thats a challenge to progress. A allen key hex socket justs snaps off.

Attachments

• IMG_4625.png
    IMG_4625.png
    805.2 KB · Views: 20
Motor is out with a struggle and I found a youtube video in how to remove the case cover etc. pulling a wire through a small access plug hole. Its not going to be easy.
No oil in the gearbox case, my fault (I was unaware it needed oil). My guess is the main bearing has disintegrated but it could be broken gears.

Attachments

• IMG_2604_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2604_Original.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 20
Good news, gears and large bearing were jammed by dust etc. After cleaning it all up it spins ok. It wont last much longer and will no doubt need topping up with oil before every use but thats ok given its not used much. The next owner can fit new seals etc. Hydraulic side looked perfect apart from the shaft seal to the gearbox side (sgphadpft had some corrosion) but hopefully that wont leak, it didnt before it was taken apart, as otherwise the gears would not have been dry.

Attachments

• IMG_2609_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2609_Original.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2610_Original.jpeg
    IMG_2610_Original.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 19