Kodak Bush Hog Noise

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #1  

trailtec

Tractor
M6800 Kubota
I bought a used Kodak Bush Hog, when I bought it there was a blade outline on the deck where the previous owner had gotten it into somthing, it seemed to be in good shape, I got it home and put new blades on it and checked tightness of the stump jumper, the problem is while runnning at any speed there is a roar all of the time, it seem worse at lower rpm, the cutter cuts good and I have used it several hours this way, it has good gear oil in it and the right amount, it doesnt vibrate a lot. Would this noise be a bad bearing from past obuse or just normal noise.
Thanks, Trailtec

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #2  
I'd say that would be the problem.

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #3  
I believe Art is right on, I never had a Kodak but had a John Deer Stump jumper that had the same issue, usually at lower rpm's noise can be heard better. But at higher rpm's it seems to mellow out some. I needed to install new bearing in mine, good winter project for you.
DevilDog

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #4  
I have a Bush Hog model 600. I thought I had bearing problems, took hog apart and found that gear backlash was more my problem than anything else. I replaced the bearings and put hog back in use. Still makes more noise than I am comfrontable with but I know it is not the bearings causing the noise. I am going to run mine till it comes apart, which hopefully will be several more years. The gears are not cheap. I will propably replace the gearbox whenever mine goes south.

I have a very well built heavy hog I hope to keep it for a long time. A hog built as good as mine would be very costly to replace with a new one. Mine makes noise but still cuts as good as a new one.

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #5  
In 1967 I bought a 58 Ford half ton and drove it to Alaska from Mass with a couple of friends. I only kind of half checked it out first (dumb kid) and turned out the rear was low on 90 weight. In PA, so maybe 150 miles, the rear starts to howl. We filled the thing with 90 and drove it to AK, ~6000 miles. Howled the whole way. So your hog MAY last a long time, probably the noise will compel you to work on it some winter.
Jim

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #6  
spin it by hand.. does the bearing seem smooth?

does it seem abnormally tight?

any play, up/down/side/side int he output shaft.

if the answers are yes, no, no.. I'd put 85/140 oil in her and run her till I found the problem..

soundguy

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #7  
...there was a blade outline on the deck where the previous owner had gotten it into somthing, it seemed to be in good shape, I got it home and put new blades on it and checked tightness of the stump jumper, the problem is while runnning at any speed there is a roar all of the time, it seem worse at lower rpm....

I think I would also inspect the underside for rubbing, especially since you said the top deck was damaged from something. There might be something stuck to the stump jumper that's rubbing and not obvious. If you could turn the cutter over or lay it up against a tree and do a thorough check of the underside, then you'd know there wasn't a problem with rubbing.

Also, look closely at the bolts that hold the gearbox to the body of the cutter. If they are loose, they could cause noise that is more noticable at lower speeds than at high speeds.

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise
Thanks for the help on the noise, the first thing I did when I got it home, turned it upside down took blades off and replaced them, checked stump jumper for bends, tightened the jumper bolt snug and put new cotter pin in it, everthing was fine, just that dam noise, after long use the gear box is only warm to touch, and I think this feels normal.

/ Kodak Bush Hog Noise #9  
keep heavy lube in her and just check her from time to time.. not much else to do but run her.

soundguy