Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump...

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #11  
That Seafoam is great stuff.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #12  
Hello DJ54. Could you tell me a little more about Seafoam?? I have the same (+/-) problem your BIK has: Toro 14hp Kohler murder to start this time; starts right up the next time (like, for example, the time you have schlepped it halfway across the county to the dealer's shop. "Now, what was your problem??" says the snarky 17 year old). I checked their web site and there are a half dozen different Seafoams, for a variety of purposes. Most go in the gas, which won't work if you cant get the da**ed thing running.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump...
I, along with the brother-in-law used the Seafoam Motor Treatment. 30% of it's make up is Naptha, which would cut the crud buildup. In our case, apparently it was built up on the fuel check valve in the carb. Build up of varnish type gunk not letting the check valve ball seat, and letting fuel drain back to the tank. If you would start it say within 24 hours, you'd never know you had a problem. For a week, and you'd grind a good while on it, before it would start, because of the fuel pump needing to draw the gas clear up from the tank in the rear.

So you need to follow the directions on the can at the back, bottom, where it tells you to induce slowly into the system. It needs top be in the fuel line, before going into the carb. Then let it set for the recommended time, then start. This would include adding the prescribed amount into the fuel tank, to get a good cleaning.

I add the prescribed amount, usually every 4th mowing, or once a month. So far, it has been working for a normal startup, and not having to grind on it for 15-20 seconds to pick up the fuel.

The only bad experience with it, was on my Super C Farmall. I've been adding it to the fuel several times a year, and a dose in the Fall to keep things clean. This Spring when plowing the garden, and under a good pull, the tractor stopped suddenly, like you shut off the switch, or ran out of fuel. Checked for spark, and had that, and knew I had plenty of fuel. I checked the sediment bowl, and could see tiny strings in it, that passed through the screen. I pulled the bowl and screen, and on top of the screen was stings of varnish buildup from in the tank. I looked in the tank, and could literally see strings floating around. Luckily, I only put 5 gallons in to do the job, so it didn't hurt too bad dumping about 7-8 gallons of $3.00 gas to flush the tank.

Got everything cleaned out, and it fired right back up. Just have to keep adding it every now and then to keep it clean. Still have to blame most of the problem in my mind, on the ethanol being added to gasoline nowadays.

You don't show where you live, but I will tell you I can buy it at a big box store here, called Menards, similar to Lowes cheaper than anywhere for $6.98, for the 16 oz, can. Auto parts stores want up to $11.99 for the same thing, unless it's on sale.

As mentioned in previous posts, I'm not a big believer in "mechanic in a can", but 2 products I will say work for me. Seafoam, and Marvel Mystery Oil. Seafoam to keep all of the fuel systems here clean, and the MMO I put in the older, pre-unleaded gas engines to keep the exhaust valves from sticking.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #14  
Maybe it's been said already. I would always opt for a generic 12 volt pump if possible. You have lots of fuel pressure before you even start to crank the engine. Cheap, easy to test and replace if needed.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #15  
Maybe it's been said already. I would always opt for a generic 12 volt pump if possible. You have lots of fuel pressure before you even start to crank the engine. Cheap, easy to test and replace if needed.

I don't know which of dozens to buy. Can't find a contemporary equivalent. Details: Kohler 14 model M14 S (M= Magtnum, S= electric start). spec # 601559 SN 2610602543.
And suggestions appreciated. I think the fuel pump is a distinct possibility here. I'm off today to get some Sea Foam.

An electric fuel pump didn't work so well on my Bobcat with an 18 h.p. Kohler. It more than likely didn't help I had to mount it in the engine compartment, but after a few months, the pump would get so hot from deadheading pressure, it would seize the oscillating piston in it, and quit pumping fuel. Let it set for 20 minutes, and it was fine. After 3 pumps, I broke down and got an OEM manual plunger pump, and has been running fine for the last 5-6 years.

I'm still thinking it's the check valve gummed up. Not sure if you can get to it to clean it or not. It's been so long since I've looked at one, can't remember if it's a sealed unit or not.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #17  
I'm kinda surprised that a 14HP Kohler doesn't use their typical little black plastic diaphragm fuel pump. They're easily IDd by the three lines; fuel in, fuel out, crankcase "pulse" line. They're relatively cheap and easy to test and will raise/pump fuel at least 6"-12".

- Jay

They do.... Those pumps have a check valve in them,and if they get a bit of varnish on them and not seat properly, fuel runs back to the tank under the seat. They will start, but takes a bit for the pump to pick it up.

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #19  
I don't know which of dozens to buy. Can't find a contemporary equivalent. Details: Kohler 14 model M14 S (M= Magtnum, S= electric start). spec # 601559 SN 2610602543.
And suggestions appreciated. I think the fuel pump is a distinct possibility here. I'm off today to get some Sea Foam.

i bought this one after trying a local bought electric that had to much pressure and was unseating the needle from the seat and flooding the engine,

$16.88 from china and comes with everything including shipping, clamps and filter. worked great on my kohler K301 12 hp Golfster golf cart.
New 12V Universal Low Pressure Electric Fuel Pump with Installation Kit E8016S | eBay

arrived on the 8th day

good luck

/ Kohler 14 h.p. aftermarket fuel pump... #20  
I'm kinda surprised that a 14HP Kohler doesn't use their typical little black plastic diaphragm fuel pump. They're easily IDd by the three lines; fuel in, fuel out, crankcase "pulse" line. They're relatively cheap and easy to test and will raise/pump fuel at least 6"-12".

- Jay

Most of the briggs twins I have seen use the style you referenced. also the Kohler C series 17-25 hp engines.

but after looking on ebay the m series appear to use the same mechanical pump as the K series .? So it sounds like we may have conflicting information...??

Last edited: