Kohler Diesel Engine Tier IV Video Link

/ Kohler Diesel Engine Tier IV Video Link #1  

dschuffert

Silver Member
Tractor
John Deere 3720 Premium Cab
I just watched this interesting video where Kohler introduced their Tier IV compliant diesel engines without using a DPF filter. This is very interesting and something I hope other engine manufacturers can leverage. I have seen some of the production and prototype John Deere engines that do contain a DPF. The fuel consumption increases along with the cost of the unit with the DPF version.

Kohler Engines: Videos: Diesel KDI

/ Kohler Diesel Engine Tier IV Video Link #2  
Very cool but I sure wouldn't want the first one! All I could think was how much there was to go wrong with that engine and how many computer science degrees it would take to fix it.

/ Kohler Diesel Engine Tier IV Video Link #3  
The electronically controlled engine they show is the same style engine design that VW has been putting in their TDI Jetta/Golf's for the last few years to meet emission standards without a DPF. I just hope the high pressure fuel pump in the Kohler engine is more reliable than the one's VW was using for a while. The Kohler engine needs to have at least a .2 micron filter in it somewhere before the fuel pump, or junk in off road fuels is going to trash the pump. That pump is running at 28,000-30,000 psi. My VW Passat has same style engine, with DPF, and I get better mileage than the Jetta/Golfs do. With the DPF they are able to tune the engine differently to produce more power and get better mileage.

/ Kohler Diesel Engine Tier IV Video Link
That sounds like VW uses a better way to engineer and tune cleaning a DPF than Ford does on their trucks. I have an F250 with a 6.7L diesel. Ford over fuels the engine during the regeneration cycle - they over fuel the left bank of four cylinders. This sends excess fuel out the exhaust port and through the exhaust system to the DPF. This causes a high temperature situation that then burns the soot in the DPF. I get a meaningful reduction in fuel mileage while it regens. I have seen some designs that put an injector directly in the DPF assembly which is much more economical. I am encouraged to see the DPF system design in your VW that actually adds a benefit without a detriment on more fuel consumption.

/ Kohler Diesel Engine Tier IV Video Link #7  
Kohler merged with Lambordini so the diesels have Lambordini roots but all their engines now go by the Kohler name. The description they give is exactly the same system that companies using diesel particulate filters use - high pressure system, 4 valves per cylinder. Will they stay clean for the warranty period all regulated countries require? It will be several years before everything is known about all the engines. Which will be the best, the DPF with regen like Deere and Kubota, the DEF like CNH and AGCO, or the engine makers like Kohler and JCB who say their technology is so good that they don't need either. Navistar got caught saying they could get by with a reduced cost design and now are having to equip their trucks with Cummins, pay fines for their trucks that don't meet standards, retrofit, and a whole lot of mean, ugly nasty things.