Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue.

/ Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue. #1  

Post Oak

Tractor
komatsu d20-p6
Hi. I am new to the forum and I would like to thank you for your time in advance. I have a d20 p6 Komatsu dozer that stops both tracks when the
right stick is pulled. The left side stick when pulled works fine and will turn the dozer in circles both forward and backward. I pulled the seat off and checked the linkage, everything seems to be fine there. If any one has any ideas it would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way steering clutches were put in new last year before I got the unit.

/ Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue. #2  
:welcome:
To TBN Post Oak. Should have gotten a Cat... Just kidding, I used to work for Cat back when I was in college and Kamikaze, as we referred to them, became their number one competitor.

/ Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue. #3  
Will dozer spin both tracks ?could the left track be incredibly weak and just stop when you disengage right track ?

/ Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue.
Will dozer spin both tracks ?could the left track be incredibly weak and just stop when you disengage right track ?

I believe that is the case. When driving forward the machine tracks slightly to the left.

:welcome:
To TBN Post Oak. Should have gotten a Cat... Just kidding, I used to work for Cat back when I was in college and Kamikaze, as we referred to them, became their number one competitor.

Thank you for the welcome.

/ Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue. #6  
Sadly there is little Komatsu stuff here (I have three) But as it happens I have a D21P-5. With new clutch packs installed, hopefully the mechanic properly adjusted the clutch forks that are activated by the two steering cylinders. Also check to see if your brake crank (forked levers) are Free to travel to unbraked position. On the the dash 5's Komatsu failed to install the inner seal, and there is no provision for re-lubrication, resultng in "stickyness" and sometimes eventual freezing.

There are currently 138 pages devoted to Komatsu D20/D21 machines at Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers with many experienced owners .. you'll need to pack more than just one lunch to wade through it, but will be time well spent.

@mddorange .. "Should have gotten a Cat... Just kidding," .. I appreciate your humor amigo .. my D21P-5 has 28,262.3 hours on the original clock .. not too shabby for a dozer that hit 30 this year. That speaks volumes for Yanmar engines (all 3 of my Komatsu's have Yanmars) and Delo 400 :)

Sadly there is little Komatsu stuff here (I have three) But as it happens I have a D21P-5. With new clutch packs installed, hopefully the mechanic properly adjusted the clutch forks that are activated by the two steering cylinders. Also check to see if your brake crank (forked levers) are Free to travel to unbraked position. On the the dash 5's Komatsu failed to install the inner seal, and there is no provision for re-lubrication, resultng in "stickyness" and sometimes eventual freezing.

There are currently 138 pages devoted to Komatsu D20/D21 machines at Section for komatsu d20,21 and similar grey market dozers with many experienced owners .. you'll need to pack more than just one lunch to wade through it, but will be time well spent.

@mddorange .. "Should have gotten a Cat... Just kidding," .. I appreciate your humor amigo .. my D21P-5 has 28,262.3 hours on the original clock .. not too shabby for a dozer that hit 30 this year. That speaks volumes for Yanmar engines (all 3 of my Komatsu's have Yanmars) and Delo 400 :)

Thanks for the response. I found the thread at heavy equipment forums, and I have all ready started through it. It looks like a lot of information but I am more than willing to go through it. It may sound nuts but I am hoping when I get back to the dozer Tuesday I will find there is oil in my dry clutch housing, it is looking like the best case scenario.

/ Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue. #8  
Back when I worked at Cat they had a program that when certain tractors hit 50,000 hours, they would bring it back to the factory and take it apart and check for wear and tear and rebuild the tractor and send it back out. They kept records of every part that went into a tractor and how it was manufactured and that info helped them determine if changes to the process needed to be made.

/ Komatsu d20 p6 steering issue. #9  
Hi, did you fix the problem?

I have almost the same problem… Seems might will only go forward and backwards (no steering)… I can pull either lever and the dozer will stop and cont. to want to move until the engine stops.. At this point i'm not sure if i have a steering problem or a break problem…

I will try to adjust the break next week and see if that will work.. anything else you recommend doing?