Kubota 42" zeroturn Z122R (2016) mower deck dismount

/ Kubota 42" zeroturn Z122R (2016) mower deck dismount #1  

okiecraig

Bronze Member
Tractor
1972 MF 135 diesel, Kubota L3940
Since i had trouble with owner's manual explanation, here are the steps from experience to remove the deck for whatever maintenance you need to perform. i suggest parking the mower on a hard surface, not grass, to make it easier to slide the deck in and out from under the mower.

1. park mower and set brake.
2. Raise the deck to the highest setting (4.25)
3. relieve tension on the deck belt by releasing the tension spring from the deck hook. I used an 18" loop of 10 ga wire, with the ends bent at 90 degrees to provide a grip, to pull the end of the spring closest to the deck edge off the deck hook and then gently eased the pressure until the spring lay on the deck. Then I removed the belt from the engine pulley.
4. Place 4-6ft 1"x4" boards (or similar) under the deck
5. Drop the deck to its lowest setting (1.5) which should allow the deck to rest on the boards.
6. remove the linch pins from the 4 lift arms. These pins fit tightly; you may need a wide mouth pliers or clamps or vicegrips to squeeze the linch pin slot and the lift arm so you can remove the pin.
7. Slide the deck out from under the mower.

Hope i didn't forget anything. the belt routing diagram is shown on the deck.

/ Kubota 42" zeroturn Z122R (2016) mower deck dismount #2  
good description. what kind of maintenance is requiring you to remove deck? most of my own zero turn replacement of idler pulleys, spindles, belts, anti scalp wheels, etc. is easily done w/o removal. just curious
btw: have had excellent service from this source, kevlar reinforced belts far outlast std ones from auto suppliers

V Belts | Vbelts4Less Top Quality and Service

Last edited:
   / Kubota 42" zeroturn Z122R (2016) mower deck dismount
good description. what kind of maintenance is requiring you to remove deck? most of my own zero turn replacement of idler pulleys, spindles, belts, anti scalp wheels, etc. is easily done w/o removal. just curious
btw: have had excellent service from this source, kevlar reinforced belts far outlast std ones from auto suppliers

V Belts | Vbelts4Less Top Quality and Service
Kind of long story.....Started hearing a racket when the deck was engaged, the belt on the right side was smooth but was jumping after it passed the left spindle. Took a guess the left spindle bearings were going out. It did not look like I could remove the floor of the mower to get to the deck from above so decided to dismount it. (Also, got arthritis that limits my mobility so easier to work on out from under mower) Got that done, stood the deck on edge and spun the blades and the left spindle was making a whirring sound. replaced the bearings and the sound disappeared.

Now to admit where i made a mistake: should have replaced the belt while I had the deck off because the damn belt broke on me this morning after my first hour of mowing with new bearings. Belt was 5 yrs old with about 390 hrs but looked good when I inspected it. I guess the tighter spindle pressure was enough to make it fail. So, now I get to pull deck again. LOL. AT least it will be faster this time.

Thanks for your reply.

/ Kubota 42" zeroturn Z122R (2016) mower deck dismount #4  
sounds like a headache...surprised deck removal is required for belt replacement? btw back when my rig started throwing belts, idler pulley replacement solved the prob. wish i could find grease serviceable idler pulleys, but at least the 3 spindles have zerks.
i highly recommend kevlar reinforced belts, O'reilley doesn't hack it. best of luck