Kubota 5740 fuel injector pump?

/ Kubota 5740 fuel injector pump? #1  

Rak542

Tractor
Kubota L5740
I have kubota L5740. About a year ago I filled my tractor up with diesel. At the time it only had about an 1/8 of a tank. After the fill up I drove the tractor for about 15 minutes. Then it started stuttering and white smoke came out of the exhaust and then it died. I got out to check the fuel filter/water separator bowl end it was full of water. I drain the water out of the filter and out of the tank. I put new diesel in and after about one hour of messing with it I finally got the tractor to start. Fast forward to last week, I was using the tractor to brush hog. And I noticed every time I accelerated the throttle it sounded almost like I had an exhaust leak. So I stopped brush hogging and started checking everything out. When it’s at a steady RPM it doesn’t sound bad. But when you accelerate the throttle it still sounds like an exhaust leak. It also makes the same exhaust leak noise when the tractor is under load like when I’m brush Hogging. I took it to the Kabota dealer and they told me that I had a bad injector and the injector pump was bad. They said this was because of contaminated fuel. More or less water in the fuel. My question is does this make sense it has been almost a year since I had the water in my fuel issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

/ Kubota 5740 fuel injector pump? #2  
When you get water in the pump it looses it's lubrication and will start galling when you got fuel back into it was getting lubrication again but now instead of smoothly machined and lubricated pieces sliding around you have roughned up pieces grinding against each other untill the roughness is gone and now the clearances are gone. Then to top it off the tiny little pieces went through your injectors and washed the tips out also.

/ Kubota 5740 fuel injector pump? #3  
Yes it’s possible.. and evidenced by, shutting off when you went from hi to low idle..
To bad u took it to the “stealer”.. they’re probably gonna rake u over the coals..
They’re gonna b the middle man and mark everything up. They’ll send everything out to b repaired then jack up the price..(a lot)

/ Kubota 5740 fuel injector pump? #4  
Yes, water is your problem. However, don’t be so certain that one incident was your only time with water. I had multiple stoppages with my 5740 because diesel attracts water. First at my fuel supplier. Then I have water block filters from my tanks. Then the first visible strainer with the water level disc that needs to be watched and drained. Then my shutdowns, both under high power use. First was reading between farms. Second was tilling. Replace filter and I was on my way. Neither took out the pump but in the past, at my job, had lots. One customer, 43 identical units, had 17 injection pump failures due to water. Water separator typically takes out 90%. Some “new” fuel is already heavy on water content. I replaced my L5740 with a L6060. It’s system needs even cleaner fuel and so has improved filtration. You’re going to get water in your fuel supply - get as much out before your tractor tank as possible.

/ Kubota 5740 fuel injector pump? #5  
Well if it is bad it will run worse and the injectors and pump will still be bad. If you can put up with it running bad I say keep running it. Have you tried bleeding the complete fuel system?