Kubota a Tax deduction?

/ Kubota a Tax deduction? #21  
Thanks LD-- we dont have state tax in TN, so I will just have to do the math and see which one works the best... When I bought sold and bought another RV (years ago) it worked out better to use that sales tax-- becuz all that was done in the same year... Might help me this year with the tractor???? I guess one day I will hire someone to do it? But for now I just spend all Jan-Feb learning about the tax laws what I can do--Fun Fun...:confused2: :confused2:

AndyG
I don't think most on here understand what you are asking. A few years ago the tax law changed allowing one (filing the long form) to take the standard state sales tax deduction (which is much easier than keeping receipts) and adding the sales tax for a vehicle on top of the standard sales tax allowance. I don't know if a tractor is eligible for this exemption like a car purchase. I've been doing this for the past few years with new auto purchases. Haven't also added the tractor sales tax on top of the standardized allowance. I to need to research this when my copy of TT comes. Do my own taxes.

/ Kubota a Tax deduction?
JohnThomas-- that is excatly what I am asking...IF the tractor is just like a new car purchase and other big ticket itmes that are listed on the IRS website. They say-cars, boats and airplanes..Just wondering if a tractor can be used like a car??? The other stuff mentioned in pervious posts I dont qualify for and know that. I do keep all my receipts but YES your are right the standard deduction is more than adding all my receipts up.. SO if a tractor is like a new car purchase then we are good----THAT is my question... Thanks for the help sorry if I didnt explain good enough?

AndyG

/ Kubota a Tax deduction? #23  
Got my curiosity up so went looked at the irs.gov site and found the publication (pdf format) that I think is applicable: (is "off road" vehicle the same as a tractor?....if so, then the rules seem to apply) http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p600.pdf

The document refers to 2006 so I assume that is the latest version. I assume they keep their website up to date with respect to publications. See the last sentence as well........ business use implications.

"Generally, you can deduct the actual state and local general
sales taxes (including compensating use taxes) you
paid in 2006 if the tax rate was the same as the general
sales tax rate. However, sales taxes on food, clothing,
medical supplies, and motor vehicles are deductible as a
general sales tax even if the tax rate was less than the
general sales tax rate. If you paid sales tax on a motor
vehicle at a rate higher than the general sales tax rate, you
can deduct only the amount of tax that you would have paid
at the general sales tax rate on that vehicle. Motor vehicles
include cars, motorcycles, motor homes, recreational vehicles,
sport utility vehicles, trucks, vans, and off-road vehicles.
Also include any state and local general sales taxes
paid for a leased motor vehicle. Do not include sales taxes
paid on items used in your trade or business"

/ Kubota a Tax deduction? #26  
   / Kubota a Tax deduction?
Well--aaah--I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I still try and struggle thru the taxes. Start early READ ALOT and keep on keeping on. I only have a house 2 kids and RV so it is somewhat simple some years. The years like this I have to put the research hat on a ASK alot of questions. One thing I have understood thru history is you dont cheat the IRS:confused: Many bad folks get away with crimes- BUT always get caught on cheating on their TAXES..

AndyG

/ Kubota a Tax deduction? #28  
Well--aaah--I am not the sharpest tool in the shed so I still try and struggle thru the taxes. Start early READ ALOT and keep on keeping on. I only have a house 2 kids and RV so it is somewhat simple some years. The years like this I have to put the research hat on a ASK alot of questions. One thing I have understood thru history is you dont cheat the IRS:confused: Many bad folks get away with crimes- BUT always get caught on cheating on their TAXES..

AndyG

I can sure understand that, I am 63 and we did our own up until a few years ago. My father in law was audited once and man I do NOT want to go through that.

/ Kubota a Tax deduction? #29  
JohnThomas-- that is excatly what I am asking...IF the tractor is just like a new car purchase and other big ticket itmes that are listed on the IRS website. They say-cars, boats and airplanes..Just wondering if a tractor can be used like a car??? The other stuff mentioned in pervious posts I dont qualify for and know that. I do keep all my receipts but YES your are right the standard deduction is more than adding all my receipts up.. SO if a tractor is like a new car purchase then we are good----THAT is my question... Thanks for the help sorry if I didnt explain good enough?

AndyG
Where did you find cars, boats and airplanes?
I use TT and I believe it asks if I made any purchases of a car. I've bought a car or two or three each year and also some tractors. Have taken it on the cars but not on the tractors. I may have been missing this but I don't usually miss a deduction.

/ Kubota a Tax deduction? #30  
It's time to think about taxes again. Actually, right now it's time to make any last-minute purchases in 2011 if that is advantageous.

I found this thread searching on 'deduction', researching another tax issue, and I see a point here that it seems everyone overlooked. Maybe this will help the next person who finds this thread.

First, a tractor isn't a 'motor vehicle'. It belongs in the category of 'specialized equipment dedicated to producing farm income', roughly similar in concept to a cattleman's fencing or a logger's chainsaw. (But you should use the depreciation schedule suitable for tractors, not fencing). If your use is partly farming-for-profit and partly tilling your family vegetable garden, you have to split the cost into business and personal categories. For the personal side, stop right there, the personal side has no tax significance unless you can do something (not likely) with that portion of the tractor's sales tax.

Second, all the discussion above seems to assume the tractor will be deducted on the owner's personal income tax. No. Tractor purchase cost should be the sum of the dealer's total invoice (price, tax, shop setup, delivery etc) plus whatever reasonable other costs you incurred that are directly applicable to buying the thing. I would include mileage (at the standard rate) for the first trip where you went to look at it, the second trip where you handed over a check, and of course your mileage if you fetched it with your own trailer. Then if you bought used, your renovation costs to prepare it for service. (or options you bought elsewhere and installed on it). What you want is the sum of 'grand total cost at the moment it is put into service'. This is the 'basis' that you depreciate as costs applied on several years income tax returns, or possibly depreciate immediately if it qualifies for Section 179.

Then - this depreciation cost doesn't go on your personal return like your new car. It goes on Schedule F - Farm Income, where it will be netted against the farm's income that you listed there. The net total at the bottom of Schedule F goes to a single line on your personal income tax return. It is possible for that to be large negative number but watch out for the '3 in 5' rule described in a post above.

I offer the above as a suggestion only. (and I rarely make my own Schedule F's negative, I don't want an audit!) I prepare my taxes this way then take them to an Enrolled Agent (tax professional) for review because I don't bother to keep up with changes in tax law every year. That's his job.

I learned an important point in 2009. Two unrelated Enrolled Agents told me the same thing: Sec 179 (immediate) deduction for purchased equipment can only be applied to the extent of earned income. My wife and I were finally retired so had zero wage income reported on a W-2. I asked if Deferred Compensation income or investment income could be counted - no. In my case I could take Sec 179 deduction only up to the point where it brought my Schedule F, farm income, down to zero. I was no longer renting out the little cabin at the ranch so I couldn't apply some tractor cost as 'landscape maintenance' against that rental income as I had in earlier years. I still haven't researched tax law to verify this 'earned income' rule but since both professionals advised getting it wrong would result in an audit, I relied on their professional opinion and did it their way.

One last comment - don't apply common logic to your circumstances and then assume tax law will match your conclusions. Think instead that the latest tax law reflects various lobbying efforts you never heard of. That's why you need review by a tax professional who keeps up with the latest publications and tax court rulings.

Added: I see a good discussion of Section 179 over in another thread.
179 Tax Deductions - Write off tractor

Last edited: