Kubota B2910 Fuel Gauge Not Working

/ Kubota B2910 Fuel Gauge Not Working
That sounds familiar. It always reads "full." That stupid thing....last night I tore into it again, and before I even finished with it, it was working perfectly again. I put the "gauge console thingy" back in, and no sooner was it back in place, and back to "full" went the needle.

It's the damndest thing I've ever seen. I checked all the wires, everything is clean and tight, and while I have it apart, the gauge works perfectly. The minute I put it back together, it fails again.

I'm not replacing the unit (yet). I don't believe it's bad. I'm thinking it's grounding out somehow, but it doesn't seem possible, as all the parts that are even close to the sending unit are plastic.

I'm getting aggravated. It's really not all that important, but I'm of a mind that if the tractor has it, it needs to work...correctly. That thinking will put me in the looney bin before it's over, I'm afraid.

/ Kubota B2910 Fuel Gauge Not Working #12  
OK fuel gages can either be, NO power, reads full. No power reads empty. You must first, disconect the hot wire from the sending unit. does the gauge go down, NO power reads empty, you have a short in the sending unit, if it still reads full, ground the hot wire at the sending unit. Does the needle go down? If the needle goes down, NO power reads full. If the needle doesn't move, the problem is before the sending unit. From your last reply, it sounds like you have a bad power conection, or a cracked wire. The hot wire to your sending unit, could be lose. Wigle the wires one at a time, to find the problem.

/ Kubota B2910 Fuel Gauge Not Working
If I disconnect the power, the needle reads empty. Only when there is power does it read full.

For the last two times I've mowed, the gauge has worked perfectly. I don't know what I did, but all has been well in recent days.

I'm certain it will fail again. When it does, I'll troubleshoot again.

/ Kubota B2910 Fuel Gauge Not Working #14  
If you are disconecting the hot wire at the sending unit, and the fuel gauge goes down, then, you have no power reads empty. You have a short in the sending unit, no resistance to curent flow, gauge reads full, the same as if you were to ground the hot wire to the sending unit.