Kubota B3200 tiller stops PTO

/ Kubota B3200 tiller stops PTO #1  

Tjaltz

Tractor
Kubota B3200, L6060
I have a well maintained B3200 with 300 hours on it. It has hydrostatic drive with three ranges. I recently added a 50 inch Bush Hog tiller that has a PTO shaft with a slip clutch. I made sure to slip the PTO shaft clutch by following the directions to loosen the bolts, turn it on and make sure the plates all slipped (moved), then retightened it according to the directions. I till in low range at PTO rpm. A few times while tilling, I would contact something (like a tree root or large rock) that caused the tractor to stop moving and the PTO shaft to stop turning, while the engine continues to run. I immediately depressed the clutch, and raise the tiller from the obstruction, and when I let the clutch out the tiller and tractor move again. The PTO shaft‘s slip clutch did not spin, rather the tractor’s PTO output stopped. The tractor’s rear PTO is rated at 23 HP, and the tiller requires a minimum of 15 HP. The clutch pedal currently has 1-3/8” of free travel, and the spec in the manual is .8“-1.2”. Is this an indication of a clutch problem on the tractor?

/ Kubota B3200 tiller stops PTO #2  
To clarify, you say "...the tractor’s PTO output stopped." Are you saying that with the PTO control ON (is that a lever or a switch?) that the PTO shaft of the tractor does not turn? External to the tractor one might think shear pin because even with a slip clutch there is almost certain to be a bolt somewhere in that drive line that cause the U-joint back at the slip clutch to turn. OR you MAY be saying that PTO shaft on the tractor does not turn at all? Have you disconnected the tiller U-joint at the PTO and felt the PTO shaft for looseness ? Does it spin naked with no load?

/ Kubota B3200 tiller stops PTO
The tractor’s rear PTO output spline (and connected PTO shaft to tiller) stop turning, and the tractor‘s forward motion stops. Rear PTO engagement is accomplished by depressing the clutch and moving a lever. Tiller PTO shaft turns easily when not connected. Tiller and PTO shaft are new, with no real wear. This was the first time running a tiller on this machine. Thanks for your input.

/ Kubota B3200 tiller stops PTO #4  
Here's a random thought without much mechanical background.....Did a roll pin fall out on the PTO shaft/tiller side?Unless you were really abusive to the tractor, I doubt there is a problem on the tractor side.

Cheers,
Mike

/ Kubota B3200 tiller stops PTO #5  
The tractor’s rear PTO output spline (and connected PTO shaft to tiller) stop turning, and the tractor‘s forward motion stops. Rear PTO engagement is accomplished by depressing the clutch and moving a lever. Tiller PTO shaft turns easily when not connected. Tiller and PTO shaft are new, with no real wear. This was the first time running a tiller on this machine. Thanks for your input.
Tks for the clarification. To my knowledge the clutch on a hydrostatic drive Kubota B series has nothing to do with the movement of the tractor. Independent. With the PTO disengaged can you move the tractor normally with the hydrostatic pedal or not ?