Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #31  
I think an old saying goes.....Necessity is the mother of invention. Me thinks I'm going to sleep in the Kubota tonite. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #32  
Rat: if u really want to check it out do a search on the MONTREAL PROTOCOL of 1987, it will totally explain how the CFC'S in some refrigerants and most of the aresol cans that used cfc as dispersant helped create the problem.just throwing it out there for anyone interested.

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #33  
I didn't state in the blurbs accompaning the pictures, but the removable side panels are off the tractor so as to show the flaps or "shrouds."

I used the tractor today about noon to move some material. It's really comfortable inside now. Now I can concentrate on the task and enjoy my stereo.

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #34  
Thanx 5030, Kubota Grand series is one of my up coming options for my new tractor and a cab model is must for air and heat. I watched this thread with ernest to see the results, glad it ended with positive results, and so is Ernest, lol.

Don

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C
Daryl (aka 5030),
Yea verily, You have taken "point" and done well. I have read all and think you did great. I passed it on to my Kubota dealer with my comments regarding my A/C and how it is NOT a good advertisement for Kubota that I have to get out of my tractor to cool off and that I have to operate with the back window open and a side door when safe.

Unfortunately I have had a lot of tractor work to do and couldn't fix the A/C. I had 30 loads of sand delivered by 10 wheeler dump. This is over 400 cu yds. Yesterday I moved over 200 cubic yards of it to partially backfill my basement. I pack it with water from a 2 inch line fed from an engine driven pump. I was carrying my box blade for ballast and about supper time the left 3ph arm broke in half. so the tractor is sitting there till I take a jack down and get the box blade off of it.

As soon as circumstances permit I will improve my A/C situation along the lines of what you did. I am leaning toward installing an electric fan in front of the condensor but I'll try the shroud first. The very first A/C action I need is to get it checked out to make sure it is doing what it is operating nominally and then improve on that as required.

Pat

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #36  
PatrickG:

I'm curious: Where did the arm break at? Did it break at the weld where the Ball end mounts to the arm itself? Or at the pivot point near the brake housing? The reason is because I know of a local guy who cracked the housing itself, on the right side, just above the lower pivot point.

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #37  
It is true that R-12 and most other refrigerants are heavier than air. If the air is still the gas will naturally settle in low areas, but it does not take much of a wind or thermal updraft to move the refrigerant around and disperse it throughout the atmosphere. As another poster mentioned, it is the chlorine in the refrigerants that does the harm, but only if it is separated from the rest of the refrigerant. In the upper atmosphere high intensity sunlight breaks down some of the refrigerant into its component parts and frees up the chlorine. This is not a problem that will go away quickly because most chlorine based refrigerants are very chemically stable and will take many, many years to be broken down. Also, the last I checked, chlorine based refrigerants are still being made and released into the atmosphere in large quantites by several third world countries such as China. Of course, any harm they due to the environment does not count since their economy is still "developing". /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #38  
PatrickG and others:

I guess that good wasn't good enough, I added another piece of rubber along the top side too. I bracketed it to the mounts that hold the radiator screen guides to the radiator. That effectively encloses the whole evaporator/oil cooler and I have a tremendous air flow now. I notice that when working the tractor, the temperature gage never goes above 1/2. If you need pictures, I'll post some.

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #39  
Just for the sake of clarity, not that it really matters in this case, the A/C coil in front of the radiator is actually the condenser, not the evaporator. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

/ Kubota Grand L 4610HSTC A/C #40  
MJB:

I don't really know the difference, all I know is that the ac works really good now. I'm not a refrigeration mechanic, just a previously hot under the collar part time farmer.